The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

6th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Rgt

zoomer

My grandfather (Bernard Purkiss Pte 2144 RWR) served in 6th Battalion.

His service record has limited info but says

Overseas service France 22.03.15 to 16.01.17 and then proceeded home where he served from 17.01.17 to 02.02.19

What were they doing at home?

I know he was wounded (wound stripe and photo in hospital blues), could this suggest he was hospitalised for this length of time. (Seems a long time especially as he went on to serve in the Leics up until 1945)

Odd?

My grandfather (Bernard Purkiss Pte 2144 RWR) served in 6th Battalion.

His service record has limited info but says

Overseas service France 22.03.15 to 16.01.17 and then proceeded home where he served from 17.01.17 to 02.02.19

What were they doing at home?

I know he was wounded (wound stripe and photo in hospital blues), could this suggest he was hospitalised for this length of time. (Seems a long time especially as he went on to serve in the Leics up until 1945)

Odd?

If you are sure he served at home 1917-1919 then his wound could not have been that serious to warrant discharge. He could have been wounded between 1915 and 1917 and returned to action. At home he could have been attached to the depot (Budbrooke), be involved in training, worked at the Thorp St drill hall, worked at the Warwicks training camp on the Isle of Wight or done guarding of installation type duties almost anywhere. If he was an initial Territorial in 1908 he might have completed 9 years service by 17.1.1917 - this might be significant.

If he was an initial Territorial in 1908 he might have completed 9 years service by 17.1.1917 - this might be significant.

He enlisted into the territorials on 21.11.1913 and posted to the 6th Battalion

Does that make a difference?

He certainly wasn't discharged so it would appear that he was "at home". But what would he have been doing??

Were the 6th gassed? Family memory suggests he was gassed (dodgy I know) I didn't think mustard gas was used until the middle of 1917 by which time he was "at home".

Cheers Alan - you're a top bloke.

Hi Zoomer

Welcome to this Forum.

I have downloaded his medal card from Ancestry. I know you have his details from the MOD, however his MID suggests he did not go overseas until after 1/1/1916.

Terry

post-66-1233649109.jpg

The medal card also shows he transferred from Royal Warwicks into the Leicestershire Regiment.

Bizarre...

He has the 14-15 star and MOD say he served overseas (France)

According to "records" he served overseas 15-17 but then again records sugggest only 1916.

Who do I believe? MoD or MIC?

A photo of him at "Plug Street" (on another equally supportive forum) dates as 1915.

Agggghhhhh!!!!!!

(ps Alan he did transfer to the Tigers in 1919 and served until his death in 1945)

I have answered my own question.

Yes the medal card does suggest he didn't go overseas until 1916 but I couldn't believe it as I was sitting staring at his 15 star. Mystery solved because on the back it is inscribed 2144 Purkins. Low and behold Nat Arch have a MIC of this character showing the 15 star.

Now, where were we??!!

Home service.