The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RAMC

airton

Can anybody help me to find out which unit this soldier was attached to .He joined 6th May 1916 in Bradford.He is my Great uncle and was awarded the French Croix de Guerre.

Thanks

Walsh

I will try to do something for you on this as an acknowledgement of your persistence !

Hvae you seen the details on the Croix de Guerre ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/croix_de_guer...4-1918_(France)

The Croix you mention was won at Army level !

I must NOT presume that you aren't looking at the real thing anyway !

Sotonmate

Walsh

I will try to do something for you on this as an acknowledgement of your persistence !

Hvae you seen the details on the Croix de Guerre ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/croix_de_guer...4-1918_(France)

The Croix you mention was won at Army level !

I must NOT presume that you aren't looking at the real thing anyway !

Sotonmate

I have the medal ribbon and bar .The bar has a bronze palm on it .I also have the original box for the medal. I was told the medal was presented by Petain and the original citation was destroyed when he signed the capitulation in second world war.Hope this helps .Thanks

I am not sure if this will help or not but I have a handwritten list of RAMC personnel who received awards and Herbert Deller is on it. The list only consists of name, rank, award and London Gazette date, the LG reference for his Croix de Guerre is noted as XXXII, Page 56, 29/1/1919. I have checked the LG website but cannot find it but someone else maybe able to trace it for you. You may already have the LG reference and it does not always provide the medical unit anyway but it might help.

I am intrigued that Herbert enlisted late but has an early number.

Barbara

He was awarded the Croix de Guerre (London Gazette #31150, 29 January 1919) but is listed with his service number subsequent to the Territorial Force renumbering.

403534 Private Herbert Dellar, 1/2nd (West Riding) Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps (Territorial Force) (Bradford).

Link to the Gazette is Here

Regards

Steve

It did help - that's brilliant

Steve

I did not search using the service number because I thought he may be TF or the number might have been wrong but I did search under Deller. I also did a search using the date facility but have not managed to get that to work yet :( Great that you found him though and the unit was stated.

Barbara

Walsh

The War Diary of the 1/2 WR FAmb is at Kew under WO95/2789 and runs from Apr 1915 to Jun 1919.

You can order bits of it from the National Archives but quite which bit will hold your information woould be difficult to determine as it could be any number of months before the LG entry in 1919.

Sotonmate

Walsh

The War Diary of the 1/2 WR FAmb is at Kew under WO95/2789 and runs from Apr 1915 to Jun 1919.

You can order bits of it from the National Archives but quite which bit will hold your information woould be difficult to determine as it could be any number of months before the LG entry in 1919.

Sotonmate

Well thanks very much for all your help in providing so much usefull information .I will follow these leads up and hopefully find out exactly how he won his medal.I will report back.

He was awarded the Croix de Guerre (London Gazette #31150, 29 January 1919) but is listed with his service number subsequent to the Territorial Force renumbering.

403534 Private Herbert Dellar, 1/2nd (West Riding) Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps (Territorial Force) (Bradford).

Link to the Gazette is Here

Regards

Steve

thank you very much for that information all i need to do is find out when and whre he won his medal.

• 2 weeks later...

Walsh

I took a read of the War Diary this week WO95/2789 for the 1/2 West Riding Field Ambulance. There was no mention of his Croix-de-Guerre award over the last six months of 1918. The Diary mostly contains daily statistics on wounded/sick numbers through the unit,they were dealing with flu and dysentery epidemics mainly. There was steady commentary on Officers coming and going but little about ORs.

I have a digipic of his entry in the Medal Rolls WO329/2082, if you want it send me your e-mail address.

Sotonmate

Walsh

I took a read of the War Diary this week WO95/2789 for the 1/2 West Riding Field Ambulance. There was no mention of his Croix-de-Guerre award over the last six months of 1918. The Diary mostly contains daily statistics on wounded/sick numbers through the unit,they were dealing with flu and dysentery epidemics mainly. There was steady commentary on Officers coming and going but little about ORs.

I have a digipic of his entry in the Medal Rolls WO329/2082, if you want it send me your e-mail address.

Sotonmate

Yes Please any info is great my E mail address is john-walsh8@sky.com

Thanks

Walsh

I have e-mailed it. I meant to mention that it is for the British War and Victory medals,but just happens to mention the Croix-de-Guerre as well !

Sotonmate

Walsh

I have e-mailed it. I meant to mention that it is for the British War and Victory medals,but just happens to mention the Croix-de-Guerre as well !

Sotonmate

Thanks got your e-mail and its all fitting together,it would be great to find how and where he won the medal .I think the 1/2nd Field ambulance West Riding regiment was with the 49th (west riding) Division .