Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Is there an Ox & Bucks expert who can help?

brimacombe

Having had a success in identifying the time of enlistment of one of my Holsworthy Boys through the forum (thanks Mike!) I'm hoping I will be able to achieve further success with the others that I have been unable to sort out....

The following three are all Ox & Bucks - is there any Regiment expert who might be able to help?

202499 - 1/4th Btn

285172 - 1/1st Btn (believed to be early 1917 but uncertain - prev with Devons 203345)

202417 - 2/4th Btn (believed to be c.April 1915 but uncertain)

Would be wonderful to be able to pin these men down...

Kindest regards

Shawn

Shawn,

You should check out this website:

Soldiers of Oxfordshire Trust

I think you'll be able to contact a suitable expert via there. It is also a good resource to know about if you're often researching O&BLI men.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Mark

Mark and Shawn:

Mark: thanks for putting up the lead to SOFO. As a member I nearly did the same but chose to give Shawn the direct link to one of the OBLI researchers. SOFO is at the beginning of a major project to give Oxfordshire a museum, research facility and interactive website second to none in respect of all of its military history.

Hi Shawn

Have you any names? If so I will check on Ancestry. From information that I have collected on the Ox & Bucks it would indicate that 202499 and 202417 would hav enlisted between May and June 1915.

Best regards

Colin

Hi Shawn

Have you any names? If so I will check on Ancestry. From information that I have collected on the Ox & Bucks it would indicate that 202499 and 202417 would hav enlisted between May and June 1915.

Best regards

Colin

Hi Colin, Thanks for the offer, I'm already a member of Ancestry and have taken as much as I can from there (I Think!!) Thankyou for the dates for both Gliddon and Gilbert.

However, their names are as follow :-

GLIDDON, Percival James - L/Cpl - 202499 - 1/4t Btn - KIA 16 Aug 1917

HAYMAN, Archibald Richard - Pte - 285172 - 1/1st Btn - KIA 16 Aug 1917

GILBERT, Frank - Pte - 202417 - 2/4th Btn - DOW 1 June 1918

Any other information you might be able to provide would, of course, be most gratefully recieved.

Kindest Regards

Shawn

Hi Shawn,

In the History of the 1/4th O

Hi Shawn,

In the History of the 1/4th Ox & Bucks by Major Pickford, Percival James Gliddon's service no is shown as 202489, he was in B coy.

Regards

Colin

Thanks Colin

Just checked his MIC which definately shows his number as 202499 so I guess one of them has to be a typo!

Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Hi Shawn,

In the History of the 1/4th Ox & Bucks by Major Pickford, Percival James Gliddon's service no is shown as 202489, he was in B coy.

Regards

Colin

Hi Colin

I'd be very interested to know what the history says about the action of the 1/4th on 16th August 1917, when Gliddon was KIA. I already have a copy of the War Diary, but sometimes a regimental history can through even more light on an operation.

Kind regards

Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Hi Shawn,

Regards

Colin

Hi Shawn

"Aug 15th we again went up east of Ypres, assembled west of the STEENBEEK (with Battalion Headquarters at ALBERTA FARM), and attacked at dawn. The enemy put up a terrific resistance and we were unable to hit upon a satisfactory method of dealing with his concrete strong points, which were unaffected by our artillery barrage. We, however, gained a line just short of MON DU HIBOU and TRIANGLE FARM, an advance of about 500 yards. Next day we were sent back to DAMBRE CAMP, having lost 65 killed and 105 wounded, all company officers except two becoming casualties."

Regards

Colin

Mark and Shawn:

Mark: thanks for putting up the lead to SOFO. As a member I nearly did the same but chose to give Shawn the direct link to one of the OBLI researchers. SOFO is at the beginning of a major project to give Oxfordshire a museum, research facility and interactive website second to none in respect of all of its military history.

Absolutely agree, which is why I thought I'd put in the Link - even though it's early days yet, I'm sure it'll be good to get SOFO more widely known here.

It was you who told me about the site when Andy & I were trying to confirm about those misfiled 6/OBLI war diary pages that we found in the 12/KRRC war diary :rolleyes:

We then had correspondence off the Forum with Dino about that.

Keep up the good work - looking forward to seeing it take shape.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Colin

I'd be very interested to know what the history says about the action of the 1/4th on 16th August 1917, when Gliddon was KIA. I already have a copy of the War Diary, but sometimes a regimental history can through even more light on an operation.

Kind regards

Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Do you have the war diary for the 1/1st (1st Buckinghamshire) on 16th August 1917? If you don't I can send you an extract; I also have an extract, for that date, from 'Citizen Soldiers of Buckinghamshire' by Maj. Gen. Swann if you want it. The 1st Bucks (1/1st) and the 1/4th were next to each other in the line at the Battle of Langemarck.

Mike.

Hi Mike

Thanks for the offer of the war diary. I have already managed to obtain copies of all relevant diaries for each of my 36 men.

Thanks again..

Regards

Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Do you have the war diary for the 1/1st (1st Buckinghamshire) on 16th August 1917? If you don't I can send you an extract; I also have an extract, for that date, from 'Citizen Soldiers of Buckinghamshire' by Maj. Gen. Swann if you want it. The 1st Bucks (1/1st) and the 1/4th were next to each other in the line at the Battle of Langemarck.

Mike.

Hi Mike

Thanks for the offer of the war diary. I have already managed to obtain copies of all relevant diaries for each of my 36 men.

Thanks again..

Regards

Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Do you want the extract from 'Citizen Soldiers of Buckinghamshire'?

Mike.

Hi Mike

That would be great!

Thanks for taking the time to do it

Regards

Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Do you want the extract from 'Citizen Soldiers of Buckinghamshire'?

Mike.

Hi Mike

That would be great!

Thanks for taking the time to do it

Regards

Shawn

Shawn,

Just sent you a PM. Reply with your email address and I'll send you the extract.

Mike.

I got some info the oxford and bucks men from the museum they are creating a databse for each individual i think it was Dino who helped me out. I am interested in oxford and bucks men from coventry commemorated on the thiepval memorial. I can post details etc is off interest

• 4 weeks later...

I am looking for the men from the 7th Royal Berks who transferred to the 8th Ox and Bucks at Haida Pasha near Constantinople on the 17th September 1919. 139 men transferred en bloc and would have had numbers in excess of 50000 - does anyone have a list of Ox and Bucks men with high numbers (not 200,000 series) I doubt any of them died before demob or getting army numbers.

regards

John

• 10 months later...