Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Medal Puzzle

David W

Hi

Can anyone help please albeit details are sketch.

Would be most grateful if anyone can assist a friend of my father.

His father was Edward Knowles - GS/66554 - from Worksop who served in the Royal Fusiliers and survived the war. He has one medal - the War medal - that belonged to his father but is certain that his father was awarded five medals during his war service.

We would be most grateful if anyone can suggest what the five five medals were. His medal card shows only the standard two issues, so what might the others have been. If it helps he was born in 1890.

Many thanks

For a start,

Here is his MIC showing BWM and Victory.

Cheers Andy.

post-41030-1233480845.jpg

He would have been issued with tat least the British War medal and Victory.

I doubt he got 5 for war service but suspect he may have stayed on after the war and possibly received a Territorial Force medal or maybe the LSGC...... but that would mean he was still in the army in the late 20's - early 30's. He could also have seen service in India or Afghanistan perhaps, pre- and post-war (which is possible - he would of been 18 in 1908). If he had stayed on then he may even have received the GSM for possibly Afghanistan. Too many possibilities with the lack of info.

I'm slacking :lol:

He may have medals issued for WW2.

Just been to the sites of the London Gazette and National Archives and there is the same MIC only. So, I would say he did not receive any other medals for the first war.

That is not saying he did not serve in some form during the second war. There are many, many medal groups that cover both wars, as well as conflict areas in between.

Can you tell us of what he did between the wars or during the second war. There were service medals awarded from the police and fire brigade. There were coronation and jubilee medals as well.

Food for thought.

Cheers Andy.

Hi

Many thanks to you all for your kind efforts, one thing I can confirm is that they were not Second War medals but there is a vague recollection that one of the medals had the date 1919 on it, does this give any clues?

Many thanks again, much appreciated

David

Since River97 drew a blank with the Gazette I presume we can discount DCM and MM?

What about the Meritorious Service Medal?

The most likely alternative seems to be an award or two from the French, or Belgians, or maybe Italians, or Serbians, or Russians ...

Ron

vague recollection that one of the medals had the date 1919 on it, does this give any clues?

He could have had a privately issued peace medal. Depending on what he did later he could have received a special constablary medal, jubilee and coronation medals... The list is pretty extensive.