Thank you

Peter

Medal card of Tarlington, John

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Lancaster Regiment 22370 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/19

Peter,

Ancestry is down at the moment, but I've checked CWGC (as I assume you have) and he isn't listed.... but given the unusual name there is a Martin Tarlington of the 1st Btn Royal Lancs that is listed..... maybe related? If so, per SDGW he was born in Widnes and enlisted in Barrow.

Les

Peter, Only two by this name on Freebmd one born Bradford Yorkshire in 1887 the other born Prescot 1886 all others are either too old or too young. Ralph.

The one born in Prescott in 1886 was living at 10 Cromwell St, Widnes, in 1891 with parents John & Catherine and sister Margaret.

Can't find them easily in 1901, but in 1911 they're at 56 Wellington St, Widnes.

John age 49

Catherine 44

John 24

Catherine 18

Bridget 8

Martin 14

Norah 10

Winifred 4

Adrian

Thanks everyone

It could be either the Bradford or the Prescot man, do we know when they died (obviously not CWGC as above)

I am looking for what MAY possibly be a non-com.

Peter

Hi, is this any use to you, details on the Widnes Martin Tarlington.

Pte Martin Tarlington

No.2426

1st Bn, The King`s Own Royal Lancaster Regiment

12th Bde, 4th (Regular) Division.

Born : Widnes, Lancashire.

Enlisted : Barrow, Lancashire in August, 1914.

Resided : 56 Wellington Street, Widnes.

Killed in action in France in 19th October, 1916, aged 19.

No known grave; he is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

His parents, Mr & Mrs John Tarlington predeceased him and he lived with his sister. He was educated at St Patrick`s School in West Bank and was a member of the church and Sunday School. Leaving school, he became a plumber`s mate at the Hutchinson Works. Six months before the outbreak of war he had worked at the Vickers Works in Barrow in Furness and was there when war was declared and subsequently enlisted in the town.

He went to France in November, 1914 and in December was treated in hospital for frostbite to his foot. His condition required treatment in a hospital in England and according to the Widnes Weekly News he was treated by one of the Queen`s Nurses. When recovered in April, 1915, he went back to the front. In May he was gassed and again evacuated to Blighty and spent three months in a hospital in Oldham. Lancashire.#

On the 19th October, 1916, the 1st King`s Own were in the sector around Bernafay Wood on the Somme. B Company attacked a German trench known as “Spectrum Trench” . The company was involved in further actions until withdrawn at nightfall to Bernafay Wood. Martin Tarlington was one of nine men killed or died of wounds in this action.##

# WWN 1916. ## Regimental History.

Harry

Hi, is this any use to you, details on the Widnes Martin Tarlington.

Pte Martin Tarlington

No.2426

1st Bn, The King`s Own Royal Lancaster Regiment

12th Bde, 4th (Regular) Division.

Born : Widnes, Lancashire.

Enlisted : Barrow, Lancashire in August, 1914.

Resided : 56 Wellington Street, Widnes.

Killed in action in France in 19th October, 1916, aged 19.

No known grave; he is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

His parents, Mr & Mrs John Tarlington predeceased him and he lived with his sister. He was educated at St Patrick`s School in West Bank and was a member of the church and Sunday School. Leaving school, he became a plumber`s mate at the Hutchinson Works. Six months before the outbreak of war he had worked at the Vickers Works in Barrow in Furness and was there when war was declared and subsequently enlisted in the town.

He went to France in November, 1914 and in December was treated in hospital for frostbite to his foot. His condition required treatment in a hospital in England and according to the Widnes Weekly News he was treated by one of the Queen`s Nurses. When recovered in April, 1915, he went back to the front. In May he was gassed and again evacuated to Blighty and spent three months in a hospital in Oldham. Lancashire.#

On the 19th October, 1916, the 1st King`s Own were in the sector around Bernafay Wood on the Somme. B Company attacked a German trench known as “Spectrum Trench” . The company was involved in further actions until withdrawn at nightfall to Bernafay Wood. Martin Tarlington was one of nine men killed or died of wounds in this action.##

# WWN 1916. ## Regimental History.

Harry

Thanks Harry but it is the two "Johns" I need the info on

Peter

Peter,

I appreciate that he is not the man you are looking for, but he is very ikely to be the brother and son of the two John`s you are researching, Wellington St is next to Cromwell Street in Widnes and you say that one was born in Prescot, he was registered in Prescot, not born, at the time that was where you registered a birth etc... What other info do you have on the other John`s

Harry

Thanks Harry but it is the two "Johns" I need the info on

Peter

Peter,

I appreciate that he is not the man you are looking for, but he is very ikely to be the brother and son of the two John`s you are researching, Wellington St is next to Cromwell Street in Widnes and you say that one was born in Prescot, he was registered in Prescot, not born, at the time that was where you registered a birth etc... What other info do you have on the other John`s

Harry

Harry

I appreciate your help but the man is listed as having died in 1914 on three seperate memorials in Dewsbury, hence I am leaning towards the Bradford man who is likely to have connections.

Regards

Peter

I *think* this is the John TARLINGTON born in Bradford in Q2 1887:

Name: TARLETON, JOHN

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Yorkshire Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 03/11/1914

Service No: 7605

Additional information: Brother-in-law of Mr. E. Jolly, of 29, Wilberforce St., Laisterdyke, Bradford.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. A. 35.

Cemetery: BOULOGNE EASTERN CEMETERY

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...?casualty=46004

The family was pretty "loose" with the spelling of their surname...

Here's the TARLINGTON family in 1891 (all children born in Bradford district):

22 Regent St, Manningham, Bradford

John, Head, 40, Worsted Mill Hand, b Ireland

Elizabeth, Wife, 38, Wool Mill Hand, b Dublin (John TARLETON m Elizabeth DONNELLY in Bradford Q4 1871)

Patrick, Son, 19, Labourer (born TARLETON Q3 1872)

William, Son, 17, Worsted Spinner (born TARLETON Q4 1874)

Mary E, Dau, 15, Worsted Spinner (Mary Ellen born TARLETON Q4 1875, married (as TARLTON) Q1 1905)

Lucy, Dau, 14 (born TARLINGTON Q2 1877, married (as TARLINGTON) Q3 1902)

Charlotte, Dau, 12 (Charlotte Ann born TARLETON Q4 1878, married (as TARLINGTON) Joseph CLARKE Q3 1899)

Christopher, Son, 10 (born TARLINGTON Q1 1882, married (as TARLETON) Elizabeth RICHARDSON Q2 1906, died (as TARLETON) Q1 1912 age 30.

Elizabeth, Dau, 8 (born TARLETON Q3 1883, married (as TARLETON) Q3 1906)

John, Son, 6 (age not quite right, but almost certainly the 1887 John TARLINGTON, as twin daughters were born in 1885 who died in infancy!)

Sarah, Dau, 3 (born TARLATON Q4 1888, married (as TARLETON) Q1 1909)

Another daughter Margaret was born in Q3 1891 whose birth was registered twice, as TARLINGTON and as TARLETON.

The family is TARLINGTON on the 1881 census (at 2 Summer St, Bradford).

In 1911 the family is TARLETON, living at 12 King St, Bradford, although only John jr and Margaret are still at home with mum & dad.

John TARLETON married Coletta JOLLY (see CWGC NoK info) in Bradford in Q4 1913. A son William TARLETON was born in Q2 1914. After John's death, Coletta remarried in Q2 1918 (to Francois DE SMECHT), but sadly seems to have died giving birth to a child Clemence, who also died, in Bradford in Q4 1918. I think the son William died in Blackpool in 1991.

There is no obvious connection to Dewsbury, as far as I can see, but maybe one of John's brothers or sisters ended up living there in the 1920s.

FreeBMD shows no birth/marriage/death registrations for any TARLINGTON/TARLETON/TARLATON etc. in Dewsbury at all!

Hope this helps!

Adrian

EDIT: Someone on Ancestry has this TARLINGTON/TARLETON family on their family tree (as TARLETON). Want me to contact them?

I *think* this is the John TARLINGTON born in Bradford in Q2 1887:

Name: TARLETON, JOHN

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Yorkshire Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 03/11/1914

Service No: 7605

Additional information: Brother-in-law of Mr. E. Jolly, of 29, Wilberforce St., Laisterdyke, Bradford.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. A. 35.

Cemetery: BOULOGNE EASTERN CEMETERY

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...?casualty=46004

The family was pretty "loose" with the spelling of their surname...

Here's the TARLINGTON family in 1891 (all children born in Bradford district):

22 Regent St, Manningham, Bradford

John, Head, 40, Worsted Mill Hand, b Ireland

Elizabeth, Wife, 38, Wool Mill Hand, b Dublin (John TARLETON m Elizabeth DONNELLY in Bradford Q4 1871)

Patrick, Son, 19, Labourer (born TARLETON Q3 1872)

William, Son, 17, Worsted Spinner (born TARLETON Q4 1874)

Mary E, Dau, 15, Worsted Spinner (Mary Ellen born TARLETON Q4 1875, married (as TARLTON) Q1 1905)

Lucy, Dau, 14 (born TARLINGTON Q2 1877, married (as TARLINGTON) Q3 1902)

Charlotte, Dau, 12 (Charlotte Ann born TARLETON Q4 1878, married (as TARLINGTON) Joseph CLARKE Q3 1899)

Christopher, Son, 10 (born TARLINGTON Q1 1882, married (as TARLETON) Elizabeth RICHARDSON Q2 1906, died (as TARLETON) Q1 1912 age 30.

Elizabeth, Dau, 8 (born TARLETON Q3 1883, married (as TARLETON) Q3 1906)

John, Son, 6 (age not quite right, but almost certainly the 1887 John TARLINGTON, as twin daughters were born in 1885 who died in infancy!)

Sarah, Dau, 3 (born TARLATON Q4 1888, married (as TARLETON) Q1 1909)

Another daughter Margaret was born in Q3 1891 whose birth was registered twice, as TARLINGTON and as TARLETON.

The family is TARLINGTON on the 1881 census (at 2 Summer St, Bradford).

In 1911 the family is TARLETON, living at 12 King St, Bradford, although only John jr and Margaret are still at home with mum & dad.

John TARLETON married Coletta JOLLY (see CWGC NoK info) in Bradford in Q4 1913. A son William TARLETON was born in Q2 1914. After John's death, Coletta remarried in Q2 1918 (to Francois DE SMECHT), but sadly seems to have died giving birth to a child Clemence, who also died, in Bradford in Q4 1918. I think the son William died in Blackpool in 1991.

There is no obvious connection to Dewsbury, as far as I can see, but maybe one of John's brothers or sisters ended up living there in the 1920s.

FreeBMD shows no birth/marriage/death registrations for any TARLINGTON/TARLETON/TARLATON etc. in Dewsbury at all!

Hope this helps!

Adrian

EDIT: Someone on Ancestry has this TARLINGTON/TARLETON family on their family tree (as TARLETON). Want me to contact them?

Adrian

Thank you very much for this comprehensive reply, and yes please contact the person on Ancestry, perhaps they might know of a Dewsbury connection

Regards

Peter

Aaaaarrrrggghhh! "We're sorry. The user you would like to contact [...] has elected not to be contacted by anyone regarding information posted on this site" :angry:

Sorry, Peter! I'll try tracing the siblings.

Adrian

• 2 years later...

I am resurrecting this thread in the hope that someone can offer any more information.

Thank you

Peter