Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Mule Ships

PhilB

I don`t know why, but the sinking of the Armenian with 1400 mules aboard and its subsequent discovery as a wreck crammed with horse bones seemed a particularly sad aspect of WW1. I don`t know of any other mule ship sinkings, though the Nicosian came close. The nearest thing I`ve seen to a mule ship was a sheep transport being loaded at Fremantle with an astronomical number of sheep for halal killing in the Middle East. The smell was all pervading. Did many other mule ships go down?

These are the ones I know of:

MARQUETTE (23.10.15) by U 35, has 541 "horses and mules" on board

NORSEMAN (22.01.16) by U 39, has 1100 mules on board of which 740 were saved, because ship was beached (finally wrote off on 01.07.1919 !)

CROSSHILL (11.10.16) by UB 47, has mules on board (number not known to me)

italian S/S PALERMO (02.12.16) by U 72, has 858 mules on board, also 163 horses

CAMERONIAN (02.06.17) by UC 34, load includes 877 mules

ELOBY (19.07.17) by U 38, has mules on board (number not know to me)

italian Sailingvessel S. NICOLA (21.09.17) by UC 23, had 32 mules on board (just for the records :rolleyes: )

HYPERIA (28.07.18) by UB 51, has mules on board (number not know to me)

ship damaged, but escaped:

JAPANESE PRINCE (03.11.15) by U 35, has 505 mules on board

Cheers

Oliver

Yes, most of us forget our four legged friends.

I am told there is a memorial in France to the 8 million horses that were killed in WWI. I don't know if this includes mules.

It is good that they are remembered there and also mentioned here on the Forum. As despite the fact that they were often yelled at and called terrible names, they were invaluable and should not be overlooked.

Tks, Peter

ship damaged, but escaped:

JAPANESE PRINCE (03.11.15) by U 35, has 505 mules on board

Cheers

Oliver

Interesting that the Japanese Prince was a mule ship as my Grandfather (115th Brigade RFA) sailed to Salonika on her, embarking at Marseille on 1/12/1915. How ever they kitted this ship out to carry mules it must have been temporary.

Andrew

I was thinking along those lines. Did they stencil on the side of ships: "Huit cent hommes, deux cent mulets"??

Simon

Simon - your arithmetic! It`s 5 to 1, so deux cents chevaux, dix cents hommes. :rolleyes: It seems the mule ships were like the Augean stables after a trip so one hopes they were properly cleaned out. But one doubts it!

Oliver,

I have CROSSHILL as sunk by UB 47, PALERMO as sunk on Dec. 2nd and CAMERONIA as CAMERONIAN.

Am I wrong?

So long,

Simon

I have CROSSHILL as sunk by UB 47, PALERMO as sunk on Dec. 2nd and CAMERONIA as CAMERONIAN.

Simon

:o

Aargh, you are absolutely right, have edited my post accordingly :rolleyes:

Sorry for that, I was in a hurry that evening, about to go off for practice !!!

Thank you Simon for correction

Oliver

• 11 months later...

I'm new to this site, so was reading up about family members. My husband's uncle was 2nd officer on the S.S. Armenian, and was on duty when it was hit by a torpedo in June 1915, he rescued 34 crew members, and was given the Shipwreck and Humane society medal for the deed. He worked with Captain Trickie.This information may be useful to Cath, Andy and Mike, whoever you are. (I read up about the ship and noted your comments, and about you trying to find out more. I have lots of information, if you are interested. This was last dated from last year. )

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Jan 30 2009, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don`t know why, but the sinking of the Armenian with 1400 mules aboard and its subsequent discovery as a wreck crammed with horse bones seemed a particularly sad aspect of WW1. I don`t know of any other mule ship sinkings, though the Nicosian came close. The nearest thing I`ve seen to a mule ship was a sheep transport being loaded at Fremantle with an astronomical number of sheep for halal killing in the Middle East. The smell was all pervading. Did many other mule ships go down?