Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Driving in Belgium

Guest Simon Bull

Guest Simon Bull

I have been looking at the Belgian Highway Code equivalent (downloaded from the Internet). I am not sure that I managed to get all of the Code, but it is clear from what I have that the priority to the right rule applies in Belgium as in France (as I have in fact previously been informed by members of the Forum). However, on the basis of that part of the Belgian Highway Code which I have, there seems to be no equivalent of the lozenge shaped yellow signs that tell one when the priority to the right rule is applied and is dis-applied in France. Could those members of the forum who live in Belgium assist me as to whether I have interpreted the code correctly.

Simon Bull.

Hi,

Where many accidents have occured you will find a red triangle with a black X in the middle marking a priority right junction or a white triangle with a white X painted on the road. However the law is that all junctions not marked otherwise are priority right, so if you see no signs and no road markings then this junction is a priority right. And yes this is a nightmare does cause lots of accidents and does do my head in. So if in doubt presume that the junction is a priority right, it is better to get a bit embarrased if your wrong than be in an accident. If you are the one with the priority but the wheels on your car have stoped rotating you have given up your right to the priority and oncoming traffic then has right of way. Not trying to frighten you and I am sure if you have done this in France you will not have have many problems ajusting to Belgium. Hope this helps.

Brum

Simon

I hope this isn't hi-jacking your thread but I also have a question about driving in Belgium.

Is it a legal requirement to have a fire extinguisher in your car in Belgium?

R.A.C. say it is only a recommendation but all the shops who have sold us yellow triangles, GB stickers etc. say a fire extinguisher must be carried in cars in Belgium.

But then - they would say that wouldn't they?

Can anyone give me the definitive answer?

Kate

I have seen conflicting statements too, but there are some Belgian Pals here who should be able to quote us chapter and verse.

I've never bothered to find out whether a fire extinguisher is compulsory in Belgium because I always have a fire extinguisher in my car anyway, legal requirement or not. Bearing in mind how little they cost I'd recommend everyone to get one.

Tom

Hi,

Although it is some time since I have taken a Belgian driving test as far as I know you must carry 1/ A warning triangle

2/ A first aid kit

3/ A spare set of light bulbs

4/ A fire extinguisher

As far as I was taught (in 1996) without these items your car is not legaly equiped to be on a Belgium road.

As my English copy of the highway code is a bit dated now could you post the address of the websit you have been reading. I would find this realy usefull so thanks in advance.

Brum

Thanks very much for settling my worries about fire extinguishers Tom, Brum & Jon.

Even with my navigating skills, I was hoping that I would be able to cool my husband down with just a beer or something. Still I'll go straight to get a fire extinguisher tomorrow.

Kate

If you use the AA website this will always be up to date and provides a checklist for driving on the continent - saves any speculataion :)

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/overseas..._equipment.html

Ryan

Blowed if I knew that I'm supposed to carry spare light bulbs. Mind you, I've only lived next door for thirty years!

On Priorité à Droite, there is an old Belgian joke that goes:

A man rang his wife one day and said'Darling I have some bad news. I've had a car accident. I've lost an arm and the doctors say I won't walk again, but it isn't all bad, I took insisted on Priorité à Droite'.

'Oh' said his wife, 'Thank goodness there's nothing seriously wrong then'.

Frankly, you should always be careful driving in Belgium. They only introduced a driving test in the 1960s, so anyone over about 60 has never had a lesson in his life. Even today, I am told that it is fairly rudimentary. Questions like, 'where does the driver sit?'

We dread seeing them. They are notorious.

A Belgian colleague (in his 30s), bought a nice big BMW and as he was taking it home after a shower of rain, came to a big corner with a mud slick. He didn't want to brake and get mud sprayed on the new car, so he tried to go around the corner at speed. he ended up in the ditch with an awful lot of damage. He thought this was hilarious.

The rest of us just said, 'Belgian'.

If you follow the link that Ryan provided you will see that it is compulsory to carry a warning triangle in Belgium and France. It is only recommended that you carry spare light bulbs, a fire extinguisher, and a first aid kit.

However common sense suggests it to be a good idea to carry these things.

Garth

My two pennyworth on the subject of spare bulbs!

It isn't compulsory to carry spare bulbs, although many sources say that it is. Driving without a spare set of bulbs isn't an offence. But driving with a light not working is, and I think it incurs an on-the-spot fine if the police stop you.

However, a driver can reasonably claim that he didn't know that the bulb had gone and can excuse himself by offering to change the offending bulb there and then.

This is where the advice to carry a spare set of bulbs comes in. To simplify matters, many "advice agencies" just say that it's compulsory. I agree with Garth that it makes sense to carry spare bulbs anyway.

Tom

Off topic I know but in Spain you have to carry everything already mentioned PLUS

- spare set of glasses (spectacles)

- 2 no. warning triangles- one for front, one for back.

Having said that though, driving in parts of Spain, eg North, is a real dream.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll just get them all anyway just in case my navigating lands us in Spain.

If I had been leading the Infantry in Flanders we would never have reached the Front at all.

Kate

NO Paul,

it's not possible because after your last Italian coffee break you realize that all 4 wheels are gone and the car is jacked up on bricks :lol:

Paul - yes you can, my wife and I did it in 2000 (I think) because she wanted to see the Lippizaner horses. They are just over the border from Trieste. It was an odd feeling going into Slovenia - part of the Balkans - recent trouble and so on. But there wasn't a problem, and the duty free prices were excellent. No trouble that is until I went from France into Switzerland near Geneva airport. Stopped by French border police who were half-hearted until I told them I'd been to Slovenia - then they searched the car properly!!

Thanks Richard, Slovenia joins EU May 1 so it should be easy.

I have crossed border Turkey-Bulgaria Bulgaria_Romania on a train , it was a bit of a pain.

To all British visitors, or any other non-Belgians, please be warned as well, that since 1st March 2004 the number off "heavy" traffic violations went from 14 to 86 !

This also includes parking on the pavement,on bicycletracks, any thing considered as reckless driving etc... Fines start from 150 euro's.....

Also mind you of cyclist in general, as they are protected, as being considered as a "soft" road user, and therefore much vulnerable.

Don't forget to wear your safety belts, front and back occupants.

Other than this, have a nice drive.........