The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Possible Non Commemoration

MelPack

I was looking through the extracts from a local paper on this site:

http://www.foxearth.org.uk/1916-1917SuffolkFreePress.html

and stumbled across this account:

December 6th 1916

There was an inquest into the double fatality at Sudbury Railway Station on the deaths of a ticket collector and Sgt Major Theobald from Lt Waldingfield.

Thomas Theobald senior a farm labourer of Lt Waldinbgfield and his son Sgt Major Theobald came into Sudbury to say goodbye to his younger son who had been home on leave from France and was returning to France that night. The three of them had drinks and they adjourned to the Private’s house in Gregory Street where they had tea and refreshment, they proceeded to the Sudbury station ( the father, his two sons, the son’s wife and a friend), the son Herbert got into the train and said his goodbye’s knowing nothing of what happened until the train was stopped and he was told what was amiss, the guard and a porter asserted that every effort was made to get Theobald aboard the train but he would not go so his kitbag was taken off the train and placed on the platform, the door was closed and the signal for off was given, witnesses testify to a scuffle on the platform as if young Theobald after giving his wife a kiss dashed on to one of the carriages when the train was on the move, confusion followed, nobody appeared to know exactly what happened, the unfortunate ticket collector was being dragged along between the footboard and the platform, there was a scream and as soon as possible two mangled bodies were got out, the Sgt Major was dead and Hayward was removed to St Leonard’s Hospital where the remains of life flickered and went out.

The army loses a fine specimen of a British soldier who his parents describe as a good son and pride of the village. At the inquest the jury returned the verdict that the two men died of injuries accidentally of falling between the train and the platform, they censured Herbert Theobald about the condition he was in.

The remains of the Sgt Major Theobald were laid to rest in the village churchyard at Lt Waldingfield.

I checked the BMD index and there is a death recorded for Mitchell G. W. Theobold (aged 30) Oct-Dec 1916 Sudbury 4a 1032.

I cannot find a MIC or a CWGC entry. Would the death certificate be sufficient to establish military service?

Regards

Mel

Would the death certificate be sufficient to establish military service?

Should be, Mel. Assuming it confirms his occupation as "soldier" .

I've lent my copy of SDGW to a mate so can't check if he's there. If he is, In From The Cold may have already picked him up . May I suggest you contact Terry to check before doing anything else.

Good spot!

John

John

Thanks for the link. Even with that information, I still cannot manage to make the information appear on CWGC and I can only find him on the NA MICs usuing the 6385 service number.

I am losing my touch :huh:

Regards

Mel

Welshdoc

Agreed - a tragedy caused by a family in high spirits. There are two possibles on the MICs for the brother, Herbert, who looks as if he survived the war (but you can never tell with my current ability to conduct a search).

A bit more searching and here is DCM MIC from Ancestry

post-8000-1233322039.jpg

Peter