Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mesopotamia - 31 July 1915 (or shortly before)

John_Hartley

I'm currently reading Sir Ian Hamilton's Gallipoli memoirs on-line at Gutenburg and he has this diary entry:

30th July, 1915. ....... On getting news of the decisive victory[Pg 40] on the Euphrates I caused a feu de joie to be fired precisely at 5 p.m. by all the troops on the Peninsula.

Now I know this means he ordered a celebratory volley to be fired, but what's being celebrated?

TIA

John

perhaps Nasiriyeh

quote: Belatedly the main attack on the Turkish position began at dawn on 24 July following a heavy bombardment, with each side putting around 5,000 troops in the field. With the assistance of the Royal Navy the infantry stormed and secured the Turk positions. The combination of infantry and gunboat support was effective in dispersing Turkish opposition. Nasiriyeh itself soon fell and its Turkish defenders retreated to Kut.

see http://www.firstworldwar.com/battles/nasiriyeh.htm

Thanks Michael.

I'd spotted that on the same website but it just didnt seem like sufficient of a major victory to cause such a celebration. But, perhaps, there wasnt much other cause in that part of the world at the time.

John

If you have a question that is DATE related, try our new CHRONOLOGY UTILITY over at the CEFSG Matrix (Canadian Expeditionary Force Study Group).

July 25, 1915 I expect is the answer!

http://cefresearch.com/matrix/Utilities/Chronology/

Looks like it was the Victory of Venize.

Any additions or corrections are most welcome!

Cannot find this in the chronology - in any case is this not an Italian event and the reference is to a success on the Euphrates

• 3 weeks later...

The campaign was fought in swampland in the summer in Mespot. lets just say the conditions were not very good. King George V sent a congraglitory message to the troops. See the Military Operations Mesopotamia Vol I, The Neglected War, and Ends and Means for more info.