The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bill Stone

agedpink

Today is Bill Stone's funeral

RIP Bill

His funeral currently live on Sky News

cheers Martin B

He made 5 trips on a ship to rescue British soldiers during WWII too. There are a lot of people out there who have had a life because of Mr Stones efforts.

Well done Bill and thank you.

Once again with his comrades, cheers Bill.

God Bless, Rest in peace.

Heard a description of the funeral and memories of those who knew him on the radio. Out with the rum tonight in his honour.

Bill attributed his long and eventful life to his faith and a prayer taught him by his wife (who died in 1995): "Lord, keep us safe this night, secure from all our fears, and may angels guard us while we sleep till morning light appears."

The gentlemen who know the closing ode say it for you today Bill.

May you rest in peace

Andy

Good evening all.

I was very fortunate to meet Mr Stone on a couple of occasions,through friends that i met on this site,and the picture of him that is posted on the BBC news website brought back many memories of those couple of occasions,brief as they may have been,the first being with Mr Arthur Halestrap.

What a smile that man had,and a joy for life,and he also had a bit of a thing for Princess Anne.

That is another story.

He made me feel very old the first time i saw him,and made me realise that life is what you make it and what you want it to be,how ever hard it may be to get there.

Thank you for your memories,your life,and your hard work to make the world that we live in what it is Mr Stone.

Sleep tight.

All the best Mr Stone.

Simon,Tina,Rebecca,Amber,Sofia and Phoebe Furnell.

Today's black bannered Oxford Mail carried Bill's funeral on its front page with a lovely photo and the headline

R.I.P.

Bill

Hundreds mourn William Stone,

last vetran of both Worls Wars

The main article can be found at http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/search/4087500...ave_Me_Goodbye/

Bob