Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marseilles to Salonica and back

akduerden

I am trying to find out which ships my grandfather went to Salonica and returned to the UK.

He embarked Marseilles 1/12/1915 for Salonica, disembarking 17/12/1915

He embarked Salonika 19/3/1917 for UK. Don't know when/ where he disembarked but do know he was attached to 50th Battery, 5th (C Reserve) Brigade on 2/4/1917.

I have gathered a list of troop ship names from various sites that operated in the Med. but have not been able to find a definitive list or information about which units they transported or a complete list of troop ships. He was in the B Battery, 115th Brigade, 26th Division.

I have also heard that the TNA Ministry of Shipping catalogues MT4 and MT25 supposedly have a list of troop ships. Does anybody know much about these catalogues and how to identify which of the many sub-categories would relate to what I am looking for?

Any help or links to sites would be appreciated.

Andrew

Andrew

The War Diary might help,they often have the ship embarkation details. There would have been more than one ship for the whole of 26 Division,so you will need to try to find the specific Diary for your 115 Brigade to be sure that you have the right ship.

Sotonmate

Edit: just found it WO95/4864 for Salonika,115 Brigade Royal Field Artillery,runs from Nov 1915 to Apr 1919.