Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How to define: Nominal rolls, rosters etc..

Guest apisani

Hi,

This might be a silly question:-). Anyway - anyone know how to define the differences between Nominal rolls, roosters, attestation papers and draft cards?

Antoni

Nominal Rolls are lists of names of those in a (large) unit, constructed by the Army

Attestation papers are papers filled out by an individual when he attested or enlisted. They could also be called Enlistment papers

Draft cards, I would guess, are similar

But ROOSTERS??? A spelling mistake? Do you mean Rosters?

If so, a list of those who have to do certain jobs, often on certain days or at certain times, with the jobs listed

But ROOSTERS??? A spelling mistake?

Yepp - should be rosters I think... Sorry 'bout that one:-)

Anyway - as I understand it Nominal rolls are the complete list of men that served in a unit during the whole war? Am I correct?

Antoni

THE Nominal Roll would be of the whole army, but A nominal roll could be of any group- it just means a list of names

I don't really know what an Honour Roll is- maybe a list of all those involved in the war from the same place ie a school or business.

There is also a Roll of Honour, which could be either all those involved OR all those who died

Thanks Christine,

One last stupid question:-). So Nominal Rolls could refer to the list of men enlisted when a battalion was formed as well as a list of all of those who served in the unit during the whole wartime period?

Sorry - English is my second language...

API

So Nominal Rolls could refer to the list of men enlisted when a battalion was formed as well as a list of all of those who served in the unit during the whole wartime period?

A nominal roll in the military context means list of names AT ONE TIME [ie synoptic]. Hence a roll for embarkation, a roll for front line duty on 1 July 1916 etc etc.

As for a roll over the period of the Great War, thats a rare beast. My best endeavours for ONE battalion of ONE regiment are struggling at around 2500 of the about 5000 men who at one time or another were members of 2RWF.

Nominal rolls of the dead are, of course, much easier. But the Quick!

As LB1418 rightly indicates, a Nominal Roll is a "snapshot" of a battalion or unit at a specific point in time.

I have seen lists of men who served in a battalion over the course of the war, but these have been assembled from multiple nominal rolls, casualty lists, Daily Orders, etc. and can never be considered completely accurate.

An Honour Roll could be a list of men who have received medals or been mentioned in dispatches. Also could be a list of men from a certain location or organization, as Christine indicates.

I know a conscript in the CEF in 17/18 had a different form than the normal attestation form from 1914 onwards. Maybe this would be called a draft card? I know the attestation form changed over the course of the war.

Peter in Vancouver

Guest Ian Bowbrick
So Nominal Rolls could refer to the list of men enlisted when a battalion was formed as well as a list of all of those who served in the unit during the whole wartime period?

A nominal roll in the military context means list of names AT ONE TIME [ie synoptic]. Hence a roll for embarkation, a roll for front line duty on 1 July 1916 etc etc.

As for a roll over the period of the Great War, thats a rare beast. My best endeavours for ONE battalion of ONE regiment are struggling at around 2500 of the about 5000 men who at one time or another were members of 2RWF.

Nominal rolls of the dead are, of course, much easier. But the Quick!

As an example - a Nominal Roll listing all the men who served with the 7th Bn East Surrey Regt does exist and is held with the war diary at the PRO. Though I would agree they are rare.

Ian