Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Planned trip to UK/France

Vista52

My wife and I arrive Heathrow 14th February. I'm spending Sat/Sun with my Aunt in Ashford Kent. We would like to go to France 16th and be back for Hotel Reservation in London 20th.

My first thought is to go Dover/Calais by ferry and then rent a car at the harbor but the ferry pricing seems to be set for Cars with Passengers and not Foot Passengers. Also, the Car Rental place at the Calais harbor is not open for long. Anyone have any thoughts on other options?

We did something similar 5 years ago and stayed in Amiens and then up to Ypres.

Thanks,

Paul

You can take the ferry as a foot passenger. When I rented a car at Calais I called upon arrival and they picked me up, can't remember details.

I've always been able to book foot passenger tickets online. And I always collect hire cars from THIS WEBSITE. They have fairly normal opening hours and the pickup point is in the building you arrive at when the bus takes the foot passengers from the ferry to the Travel Centre.

Tom

Would it not be simpler to pick up the Eurostar from Ashford to wherever in France/Belgium and hire a car from there?

Ray

Hi Paul,

I had a look on the Eurostar site to see where you could travel to from Ashford:

"Ashford International, with daily services to Paris, Disneyland Resort Paris, Brussels (from 23 February) and Lille, and seasonal trains to the French Alps and Avignon."

So there is no service from Ashford that would drop you at Calais-Frethun station (I think this station is only served by the occasional train from London).

The service to Brussels does not start till 23 Feb, so too late for you.

But Lille, and then rent a car, is a possibility.

Angela

Hi Paul,

I had a look on the Eurostar site to see where you could travel to from Ashford:

"Ashford International, with daily services to Paris, Disneyland Resort Paris, Brussels (from 23 February) and Lille, and seasonal trains to the French Alps and Avignon."

So there is no service from Ashford that would drop you at Calais-Frethun station (I think this station is only served by the occasional train from London).

The service to Brussels does not start till 23 Feb, so too late for you.

But Lille, and then rent a car, is a possibility.

Angela

You can pick up the TGV in Lille to many stations in France. Most major stations in France have car hire pick up desks Avis, Hertz etc just like airports in other parts of the world. The Eurostar or TGV websites are worth a visit.