Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

People and Date searches! Any extra info welcome!

Crazy_Moo129

I have a couple of Relatives that i'd like to know more about. I have all their details and Numbers but i'd like to know what they did on certain days. I hope someone may be able to help?

I'd like to know what was heppening the day these people died...

Private S/16758 Francis Patrick Murphy of 10th Battalion Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consort's Own) Enlisted Peckham, Surrey. Died 21-11-1917

Private G/7226 John Pickett 1st Battalion Queens Own Royal West Kent Regiment Enlisted Tunbridge Wells, Kent. Died 4-10-1917

Private G/31818 Henry Silas Boakes of 6th Battalion Queens Own Royal West Kent Regiment Enlisted Hever, Kent. Died 27-8-1918

I've also found these Medal Index Cards... but i can't find any other information about them. Any Help here would be fantastic!!

Frederick R Flint (Frederick Robert)

Regiments - Royal Fusiliers, Royal West Kent Regiment, TR Res Bn, Royal Engineers, Royal Engineers

Numbers - 51526, 16455, 40398, 306665, WR/23131

Charles H Hallam (Charles Herbert)

Regiment - Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Regiment

Number - 26660

George H Hallam (George Henry)

Regiment - Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Regiment

Number - 59130 (SWB)

Alfred H Jeffrey

Regiment - Royal Sussex Regiment

Number - SD/2944

Private MR/082081 Frederick William Jeffery of the Army Service Corps. Enlisted 11-12-1915 Discharged 10-5-1919

I'd appreciate any help with any of them!

Once again, Many Thanks

Joanne

Joanne

Alfred H Jeffrey has a Prefix SD to his service number. This would indicate that he was a member of one of the Southdown Battalions of the Royal Sussex Regiment. There were three of them, the 11th 12th and 13th Royal Sussex. At a guess from his number I would put him in the 13th Bn.

Ian

Oh i see Ian. Thank you. I have to admit, i've always wondered what the Letters mean in Service numbers. 1 down 2 to go!

Thanks Again

Joanne

If you check the web sites on my signature you will see what great quality work you can get from Chris Baker, or go direct to these pages:

Chris Baker Report: G. V. Laughton

Chris Baker Reports: J. A. C. Kennedy

They were a great asset to my projects!

Joanne,

Re Murphy of the 10th Rifle Brigade, the war diary reads:-

12th Gouzeaucourt

Preparations were made for a big attack with tanks, on the Hindenburg Line. For the first time an attempt at secrecy was being made, and this was fortunately favoured by misty weather.

20th In the attack

Zero hour of attack 6.20am. At zero plus 15 minutes the Battalion advanced from support position in Gouzeaucourt to old front line in front of La Vacquerie (a detailed account of operations is attached)

post-1871-1233199718.jpg

Thank You!!

I think War diaries are amazing... thanks for sharing them. It's incredible to see what they all did!

Thanks!!

Joanne