Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lancashire Fusiliers 2nd/6th

john boy

Hi, my name is John Whitehead, l am trying to find out more about the above, the Lancashire Fusiliers.

My Great Uncle TANCRED, C Company Quartermaster Sergeant, 240784, 07/11/1918 Lancashire Fusiliers, served with them from 1917 till his death as above 7th Nov 1918 at a hospital at Rouen.

I have found out where they landed in Le Havre in Jan 1917, then going all over France, and Belgium, one that sticks out is Passchendaele.

From the Lancashire Fusiliers, all they give you is, who he was, when he served, and in his case when he died and where.

If there is anyone out there that could help me find a bit more about them it would be great, as l am doing this for my Mother as he was her Uncle, yes still going strong at 84.

Thanks if anyone can help a little bit

John

John

Your Great Uncle would have been wounded elsewhere and brought to Rouen where the Base Hospitals were,well behind the front line. I have calculated that he would probably have been in the actions around Cambrai and the River Selle during October 1918,it is often easier to find where he was fighting and died if he was buried nearby but being evacuated to hospital makes it a bit harder if you don't have the benefit of the Battalion's War Diary. His Bn was part of 197 Brigade of 66 Division,itself part of XIII Corps of the 4th Army,which as a body was at the two sites I mention above.

There may be someone here with a specific knowledge of the Lancs Fusiliers and can help you with greater detail,but it is unlikely that you will discover where and when he was wounded as the Diary usually only shows a number of Other Ranks but doesn't mention their names. So if there were woundings on several days or evena week or two before the soldier's death in hospital it won't be possible to say which day and which place. But you can get the area where he was.

I just noted that there was some joining of Battalions (1/6 and 2/6 joined together) around Feb 1918 although they were all still in 66 Division,so there are several War Diaries at the National Archives at Kew. The one affecting his last few months is under WO95/3140 (6th Battalion which was in 199 Brigade) and you can visit to read it,or even ask for parts of it on payment of a fee (8.50 for 10 pages).Before Feb 1918 there was a Diary for 2/6 Battalion and it was WO95/3136. If you are keen to find out about his time in the War you could get to read this too.

Sotonmate

2/6th LF were heavily engaged in the Battle of Poelcappelle, 9th Oct 1917 during the Passchendaele campaign. Casualties were 3 officers and 29 men killed, 7 & 146 wounded , 1 & 56 missing = 242 casualties. Bear in mind that the battalion would not have been at anywhere near full strength at this stage. Another CQMS in the battalion (probably a friend of your man - A Hardman) ) gained the MM for the action, as did 12 others. 2 DCMs and an MC also awarded.

Hi John, have you been in touch with Ralph,(milnrow cupboard). I am his Brother in Law I sent two attachments to him, with info on QMS Tancred. They are too big a file for GWForum message board. They are a copy from The Middleton Guardian. I can email them, contact me jrb55@tiscali.co.uk.

Take care Jim.

John, Have replied to your pm, your man died from influenza. Ralph.

Hi Ralph

Thanks, l new this and he died at a hospital in Rouen, and is buried in a cemetery called St Sever over there.

What l am trying to do is see where he fought, try and see and find the battles he was in and try and visit the trenches, if left when l go over this July.

Again thanks Ralph

• 1 month later...

Hi John,

He was gassed in the transport lines at Reumont. CQMS Tancred of D Company and he died a few days later of septic pneumoinia, he was one of the last of the original members of the battalion.

According to his Captain he was "A gallant lad of ability and resource who served his company well"

Hope this helps.

Ian.

Hi Ian

So sorry it has taken this long to get onto answer you, but l was having trouble logging on, forgot my password.

Could l ask you a big favour, you mention my Great Uncle was gassed at Reumont then he died at a hospital at Rouen, as l have his grave details.

What l would like to know is, if you don't mind how saying how did you find this info, plus the most intresting piece you mention is-"A gallent lad of abilitity and resourse who served his company well", by his Captain.

Could you also tell me where you got this from, as l am doing a research for my mother who is interested in this, and am trying to get as much info on this, as l am we are going over to france to visit his grave?

Thanks' again for this, and as l say sorry for not answering you earlier.

John

Hi, my name is John Whitehead, l am trying to find out more about the above, the Lancashire Fusiliers.

My Great Uncle TANCRED, C Company Quartermaster Sergeant, 240784, 07/11/1918 Lancashire Fusiliers, served with them from 1917 till his death as above 7th Nov 1918 at a hospital at Rouen.

I have found out where they landed in Le Havre in Jan 1917, then going all over France, and Belgium, one that sticks out is Passchendaele.

From the Lancashire Fusiliers, all they give you is, who he was, when he served, and in his case when he died and where.

If there is anyone out there that could help me find a bit more about them it would be great, as l am doing this for my Mother as he was her Uncle, yes still going strong at 84.

Thanks if anyone can help a little bit

John

Thanks John. I have a Maldon name linked to the 2nd. Lancashire Fusiliers - Private Fred Cecil HARRINGTON (40365). He was in the 2nd/5th. A native of Coggeshall, Essex, His father, William Harrington, was baliff to Baronet De Crespigney of Champion Lodge, Heybridge. Fred was formerly in the Bedfordshire Regiment before joing the LF. He was killed in action on 25/3/1918 (aged 19) and is burried in L'Homme Mort British Cemetery at Ecoust-St. Mein. Good luck with you research.

Regards.

SPN

Maldon