Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The 1st Battalion Gordon Highlanders 1914

lesley mc

Hi,does anyone have ancestors from the Gordons who can help me out with a querie? My great grandad was born in North Berwick East Lothian( a lowlander),

and I'm puzzled as to why he would have been recruited into a highland regiment.I have been in touch with the Gordons Museum in Aberdeen,and was told he may have worked in the north east and joined the territorials.As he was 31 years old when he was missing in action on 12th Dec 1914, he was a veteran of the Boer war,but there my lead fizzles out.Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you for all your help so far. Lesley.

Lesley,

Did he serve with the Gordons in South Africa?

If so he may have been a reservist(retired soldier) recalled to his Regiment when War broke out in 1914 or even still serving with the Regiment in 1914.

I would not be too worried about the Lowland/Highland connection.Aberdeen is not that far from North Berwick by train so he may just have fancied joining a kilted Regiment or that was the particular Regiment recruiting when he decided to join.

Can you please post his name,number etc so that the Gordon Experts can confirm Battalion.

George

Lesley,

Did he serve with the Gordons in South Africa?

If so he may have been a reservist(retired soldier) recalled to his Regiment when War broke out in 1914 or even still serving with the Regiment in 1914.

I would not be too worried about the Lowland/Highland connection.Aberdeen is not that far from North Berwick by train so he may just have fancied joining a kilted Regiment or that was the particular Regiment recruiting when he decided to join.

Can you please post his name,number etc so that the Gordon Experts can confirm Battalion.

George

Hi,George thanks for your response,my great grandad was Private John Dunn No 3/6934 in WWI 1914 1st Battalion Gordon Highlanders.He could possibly be the same J Dunn V9061 of the 6th volunteer battalion based in Keith in 1902. Although I'm not sure. Hope you can help.Lesley

SNWM gives:

Details

Surname DUNN

Firstname John

Service Number 3/6934

Date Death 14/12/1914

Decoration

Place of birth East Linton Haddingtonshire

Other 1st Bn.

SNWM roll THE GORDON HIGHLANDERS

Rank Pte

Theatre of death F.& F.

Aye

Malcolm

There is a chance that he may have been recruited in Edinburgh - I suppose that many of the regiments would have had recruiting stations there. Alternatively - could it be that one of their battalions were garrisoned in the area pre war. Another answer could be that that was where numbers were needed - and hence he went there. A way to find out - would be to see if his service record still exists - it would probably give details of any pre war service.

Lesley,

Unfortunately I cannot help further.

I can see your conundrum though.

My Family originated from Haddington,some serving in the local Royal Scots Battalion in WW1,but employment took my branch north post WW1,first to Fife and then to Aberdeen hence my point about the railway.

hill makes a fair point about looking for your G/Grandfather's service record.

It would appear that as he was serving with a regular Battalion,at the time of his death,he was or had been a professional soldier which is why I'm not sure of the 1902 Volunteer Battalion link.I suppose he could have left the Regular Army after South Africa,lived in Keith,joined the local Volunteer,later TF Battalion,but been recalled to his Regular Battalion in 1914.

If none of the Gordon experts pick this Thread up it might be worth opening a new Thread in the Soldiers Section quoting his name,number,Battalion and Regiment and asking if anyone studying the Regiment in depth can offer any informed information.

George

p.s. Do you have access to your Grandfather's Birth Certificate?Assuming he was born pre-WW1,or indeed during the War,this may record your Grt/Grandfather's pre-War employment e.g. my Grandfather was a time served painter and sign-writer and this is recorded on my Mother's Birth Cert although, at the time she was born he was serving in the Royal Navy as she was born 1916. :D

Just had a quick look on ancestry (though not able to fully access as don't have subscritpion) - put John Dunn in , and on looking through one came up with a location listed as Hadding???? - could this be Haddington? If so this may be your man.

Just had a quick look on ancestry (though not able to fully access as don't have subscritpion) - put John Dunn in , and on looking through one came up with a location listed as Hadding???? - could this be Haddington? If so this may be your man.

Yes it is the man in question, thanks for your effort. Lesley.