Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

great uncle hyde in the navy

herbie4798

hi all. ive just discoverd that my great grandads brother had served in the navy in ww1. all i know his name was patrick hyde, of hackney. i have no clue where to start regarding navy documents etc. any help would be greatly appreciated.

james

hi all. ive just discoverd that my great grandads brother had served in the navy in ww1. all i know his name was patrick hyde, of hackney. i have no clue where to start regarding navy documents etc. any help would be greatly appreciated.

james

James

One of these two service sheets may be for your great uncle, if so you can download for £3.50.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...resultcount=362

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...resultcount=362

Regards John

It might be that he served in the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve or Royal Navy Reserve (latter likely if he was a sailor in civilian life). These documents aren't online.

A check on FreeBMD shows no Patrick Hydes born in Hackney or Hoxton. The closest is Mile End, and that was 1864, which is getting a little old for service in the Great War. Are you positive he wasn't born elsewhere and lived in Hoxton?

It might be that he served in the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve

Both the RNVR records and those for the Royal Naval Division where many Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve men served are online. No one called Patrick Hyde served in either.

thanks guys, im going to look into this a bit more and get back to you. im not 100% sure that was he name. see if anyone in the family knows .

james

Hi James,

Sure it wasn't WW2? I have a mate whose Grandfather named Hyde (was changed from Von Der Hyde around WW1 apparently) served as an officer in RNVR in WW2....don't know first name....but he served in Malta and was awarded the DSC...I think for commanding an LST on D Day.

Rgds

Tim

hi tim. i havnt a clue at the minute mate. my familys so broken up its taking forever to get information from family members. ill get there in the end. i do remember talk of a grandad of mine being in the navy in ww2, but also 1 in ww1.

james

Hi James.

Illegitimi non carborundum. Although I mean that generally, of course! :) That is, don't give up. Perhaps bypass your family for the moment. Work back from your parents to your grandparents. If you don't have them already, you may want to consider obtaining birth/death/marriage certificates where you can. There are a number of online resources that may help and various forums where people will often provide assistance with those things that are not easily accessible. Having precise details on your grandparents, particularly where and when they were born (and their names) will make it easier.

Good luck!

Martin

thanks for your message martin. im starting that process now. i have found so much info on my great grandad who served with 1/10th londons that i hope i can find out info about my other grandad. i look forward to see what i can find out. cheers mate

james