The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Woolworths memorial has been saved

spoons

I wrote to UKNIWM at the Imperial War Museum before Christmas to make them aware of the existance of the Woolworth memorial (they did not have it listed) and the danger of it being lost with the impending closure of Woolworths. There was also an online memorial which was no longer available.

I received the following today from the project officer at the Imperial War Museum.

"We have tracked this memorial down to the receivers of Woolworths (Deloitte). In consultation with the War Memorials Trust the Imperial War Museum has decided that, since there is not a suitable location/ company to relocate the memorial to, the Museum will take the memorial to look after in the collection."

Great news and that's one more that won't find its way onto eBay or into a skip.

\Spoons

Well done Spoons!

That's great news.

Nice one mate

Chris

Bravo that man!

Good work - do you know what form the Memorial takes, commemorations listed etc? Regrettably I didnt see the online Memorial when it was available.

Well done - presumably this is the one from their HQ in Marylebone Road, London?

Illustrates well the advantage of physical memorials over online ones

Researched corporate memorial webspaces are often the work of an enthusiast within the organisation (or the person whose job it is gets bitten by the bug and becomes an enthusiast), so let's hope someone has a back-up copy of it and that it will pop up again somewhere else in the future.

So many nice comments, you've gone and embarrassed me. I feel I did very little, just found the memorial existed and drew the attention of UKNIWM to it. They have done more than could have been expected given their remit of recording memorials and the Imperial War Museum together with the War Memorials Trust must take all the credit for liaising with the receivers and getting such a great outcome.

If anything, this shows the importance of getting all our memorials listed by UKNIWM so at least they can be tracked.

The online site is still available in a cache here but unfortunately without photos. It does however say that the original wooden memorial does not have names. The above cached link does have names so I suggest you download your copy before it disappears - I've got mine.

I understand there is also a Woolworth memorial from a V2 hit in the second lot but that is safely in an Iceland store somewhere.

\Spoons

The online site is still available in a cache here but unfortunately without photos. It does however say that the original wooden memorial does not have names. The above cached link does have names so I suggest you download your copy before it disappears - I've got mine.

Many thanks for the link.

Spoons

Well done mate

Pleased to see another one saved

Andy