The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Disbandment of Yeomanry Mounted Division

docchippy

Anyone point me int eh directioon of reactions to the disbandment of Allenby's Yeomanry Mounted Division in 1917-18. Lots of Yeomanry units were either transferred to infantry into 74th Div, 10th KSLI, mostly ex Shrops Yeomanry or retrained and renamed as Machine Gun Corps eg Bucks and Berks Yeomanry.

Can any pal point me to a bok or provide info on how the regts, esp commanding officers reacted to teh change? Was there any campaign to change to decision, or horse-trading (excuse teh pun) to ensure which Yeomanry units were dismounted/disbanded?

Thanks

Doc

Anyone point me int eh directioon of reactions to the disbandment of Allenby's Yeomanry Mounted Division in 1917-18. Lots of Yeomanry units were either transferred to infantry into 74th Div, 10th KSLI, mostly ex Shrops Yeomanry or retrained and renamed as Machine Gun Corps eg Bucks and Berks Yeomanry.

Can any pal point me to a bok or provide info on how the regts, esp commanding officers reacted to teh change? Was there any campaign to change to decision, or horse-trading (excuse teh pun) to ensure which Yeomanry units were dismounted/disbanded?

Thanks

Doc

There is (a brief) mention of it in "With the Lincolnshire Yeomanry in Palestine 1914-1918" by J Wintringham (ISBN: 095065650X). They held a mock funeral for the regiment and erected a tomb on hearing the news. They weren't very impressed. Interestingly, after the war they refused to be converted/amalgamated and hence disappeared from the order of precedence altogether. I don't know if there was any "horse play" - the East Riding Yeomanry war diary for the period doesn't mention anything like that, it is very matter-of-fact and only includes copies of the orders pertaining to the merger.

Cheers,

Neil.

I've found another mention in The Yarn of a Yeoman, by S F Hatton of the Middlesex Yeomanry. He notes that "The last thought of these two regiments [Roughriders and Sharpshooters) was, indeed, typical of the splendid feeling that existed among us all. The day before their horses had to be handed over, our Troop sergeants went through their horse-lines, at their invitation, and we took the very best of their "cattle", exchanging them for the worst of our "crocks". We had to do a great deal of alteration of the numbers on the hoofs, etc., but it fitted us up with some splendid horses and gave us the opportunity to get rid of some of our duds"

Cheers,

Neil.

The History of the 74th Division (C H Dudley Ward, DSO, MC), on the first page:

The emblem born by the 74th Division was a broken spur. No doubt when General Girdwood chose it he was influenced by a certain bitterness against the fate which had condemned the fine yeomanry units from which it was formed to be deprived of their horses, and to fight as infantrymen in a country where mounted troops had the most favourable opportunities for manoeuvre, iniative and "dash" - conditions which are prayed for and seldom granted to the mounted soldier.

At the start of Chapter III (page 28) he says, however: The change from yeomen to infantry was received with good-humoured philosophy: no one attempted to explain why it was done, and it was merely referred to as a decree of "the powers that be"!

And on page 29: It was a very healthy child that was born in March 1917.

I don't imagine that helps a lot, but it was fun looking it up.

• 4 years later...
QUOTE (docchippy @ Jan 25 2009, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks

Doc

There is (a brief) mention of it in "With the Lincolnshire Yeomanry in Palestine 1914-1918" by J Wintringham (ISBN: 095065650X). They held a mock funeral for the regiment and erected a tomb on hearing the news. They weren't very impressed. Interestingly, after the war they refused to be converted/amalgamated and hence disappeared from the order of precedence altogether. I don't know if there was any "horse play" - the East Riding Yeomanry war diary for the period doesn't mention anything like that, it is very matter-of-fact and only includes copies of the orders pertaining to the merger.

Cheers,

Neil.

Hi Neil,

Thank you for all your contributions to the forum. Greatly appreciated!

You mention the East Riding Yeomanry War Diary for this period. Please could you let me know where I could obtain a copy?

Also, are you aware of any lists of men serving with the ERY?

Thank you.

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

I'm not aware of any "official" lists of men serving with ERY, I certainly haven't come across one up to now, although I have compiled a database of 1800 men of the Regiment and Dr David Marchant at the Treasure House in Beverley is compiling a biographical list of 100 yeomen as part of the WW1 Centenary exhibition. If you are looking for anyone in particular let me know and I'll see if I have any info. The war diaries are held at Kew.

Cheers,

Neil

Hi Neil,

I am looking for details on HAROLD SANDERS of Minstermoorgate in Beverley who served in Palestine in 1917. I have copies of the diaries for the Gaza battles but nothing after that.

Thanks,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

OK I will have a look and see if I can provide any info.

After the Gaza battles and just before the fall of Jerusalem the Regiment was withdrawn from the line and sent for rest and recouperation. Before they could return to the action in Palestine the Germans launched their spring offensives on the Western Front and the ERY, along with many other regiments, were sent to France. They amalgamated with the Lincolnshire Yeomanry to form 'D' (later 102nd) Battalion, Machine Gun Corps. They spent a lot of time retraining in France before taking their place at the front in time for the final battles of the war in October-November 1918.

Cheers,

Neil.

Hi Gordon,

Harold Sanders, regimental number 2015 enlisted 7th or 8th May 1915. He went with the 1/1st East Riding Yeomanry to Egypt in Oct/Nov in 1915 as he qualified for the 1914/15 Star. He was renumbered along with the rest of the Regiment in 1917 as no. 50624.

He went with the Regiment to France transferring to the Machine Gun Corps along with all the enlisted men and was renumbered in the MGC as no. 150414.

He was discharged on 16th March 1919.

Unfortunately that is all i have on him I'm afraid.

Cheers,

Neil