The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

19th KLR - Any leave during training?

jaskie

I had very sparse information about my grandfather who was killed on the Somme. He was with 19th KLR and was KIA 29 Jul 1915. I travelled into Melb. state Library last week and got a lot of info from Graham Maddox's book. From that it seems G'dad would have been at Knowsley Park camp when my Mum was born at the end of Jan 1915. He lived at Chorley (about 30km nth of Liverpool). Do any of the experts here know if it would have been likely he could have got leave at this time, or any time before he left for France on 7 Nov 1915? I am wondering how much he saw of his baby daughter.

Thanks, Jaskie

Melb. Aust.

Jaskie

A few dates for you,it may help,but who can second guess what the leave regime was really like? I would prefer to think that they got leave after basic training had finished and periodically whilst the Division were in the UK:

19KLR formed August 1914.

Part of 89 Brigade of 30 Division April 1915 at Grantham Lincs.

To Larkill Salisbury Plain summer 1915.

30 Division shipped out to France November 1915 and concentrated around AMIENS.

Battle of ALBERT 1 July 1916.

I can't think it was going to be any long periods at home,maybe a few weekends and the odd week,prior to shipping out,possibly another week during the first half of 1916.

If you want to expand your knowledge of your GFs time in France you could post his name here. The Battalion's War Diary is under WO95/2334 at the national Archives,Kew.

Sotonmate

Thanks for the reply, Sotonmate. I had thought he probably got home occasionally.

Perhaps the Soldiers section would be a more appropriate place to post his name and details.

Jaskie