Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

26th Division units - war diaries

akduerden

Does anybody have war diaries of any of the units in the 26th Division? Units are:

77th Brigade

8th Bn, the Royal Scots Fusiliers

11th Bn, the Cameronians

10th Bn, the Black Watch

12th Bn, the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

77th Machine Gun Company

77th SAA Section Ammunition Column

77th Trench Mortar Battery

78th Brigade

9th Bn, the Gloucestershire Regiment

11th Bn, the Worcestershire Regiment

7th Bn, the Ox & Bucks. Light Infantry

7th Bn, the Royal Berkshire Regiment

78th Machine Gun Company

78th SAA Section Ammunition Column

78th Trench Mortar Battery

79th Brigade

10th Bn, the Devonshire Regiment

8th Bn, the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry

12th Bn, the Hampshire Regiment

7th Bn, the Wiltshire Regiment

79th Machine Gun Company

79th SAA Section Ammunition Column

79th Trench Mortar Battery

Divisional Troops

10th Bn, the Gloucestershire Regiment

8th Bn, the Ox & Bucks. Light Infantry

8th Bn, the Royal Berkshire Regiment

Divisional Mounted Troops

A Sqn, the Lothians & Border Horse Yeomanry

26th Divisional Cyclist Company, Army Cyclist Corps

Divisional Artillery

CXIV Brigade, RFA (114th)

CXV Brigade, RFA (115th)

CXVI Brigade, RFA (116th)

CXVII Brigade, RFA (117th)

26th Divisional Ammunition Column RFA

131st Heavy Battery, RGA

LVII Brigade, RFA (57th)

XXXI Brigade, RFA (31st)

IV Highland Mountain Brigade, RGA (4th)

Royal Engineers

95th Field Company

96th Field Company

107th Field Company

108th Field Company

131st Field Company

26th Divisional Signals Company

Royal Army Medical Corps

78th Field Ambulance

79th Field Ambulance

80th Field Ambulance

43rd Sanitary Section

Other Divisional Troops

26th Divisional Train ASC

38th Mobile Veterinary Section AVC

817th Divisional Employment Company

26th Divisional Motor Ambulance Workshop

Thanks Andrew

• 1 month later...
Are you attempting a divisional history?

No I am afraid I am not. My interest is the 115th Brigade RFA - my Grandfathers unit. I was hoping that if anybody had war diaries of any of the units so that I could possibly trace where his unit went.

I have subsequently been able to piece most of it together for his unit from arrival to Mar. 1917 via the brigades war diary.

Why do you ask?

Andrew

Hello Andrew ,I am sort of considering writing a history of the 1st Division, your OB list reminds me of the work involved. thought we could have maybe shared ideas if you were going to write something big. Regards Rick

Does anybody have war diaries of any of the units in the 26th Division? Units are:

Thanks Andrew

The 7th Royal Berks are on line at www.thewardrobe.org.uk - also available in printed form from the wardrobe's bookshop.

regards

John

• 1 year later...

Andrew,

My name is John Skinner and I live in Bondi. I am recently retired and have set out to try to find out more about my grandfather's war service. His name was Edward Francis Lovell, he was a driver in the RFA and I have a copy of his medal card. This shows he first went to France in 1915 and I am now reasonably sure he went to Salonika with one of the RFA units attached to the 26th division but that's as far as I have got. From reading your postings this would appear to be very similar to your grandfather's experience (I take it that his name is LF Eggleton ?). Where do I go from here ?

No I am afraid I am not. My interest is the 115th Brigade RFA - my Grandfathers unit. I was hoping that if anybody had war diaries of any of the units so that I could possibly trace where his unit went.

I have subsequently been able to piece most of it together for his unit from arrival to Mar. 1917 via the brigades war diary.

Why do you ask?

Andrew

Hi John,

I would be only to happy to help. In the time since these posts in this thread I have been able to collect a lot of information regarding the artillery of the 26th Division. I am sure there is something I will be able to help you with. (And yes his name was Louis Francis Eggleton)

First of all I suggest you start your own thread as this will get the most attention from the Old Pals on the forum and that can only be a good thing. I suggest at this stage you don't post it under the Salonika forum unless you are absolutely certain that your grandfather went to Salonika - it may have a broader appeal. I suggest you attach the medal index card (MIC) to the post as this will help others and myself.

Now for some questions,

1. What makes you think he went to Salonika?

2. What makes you think he was in the 26th Division?

3. Was your Grandfather born in England? If so do you know when?

Look forward to hearing more,

Andrew

Hello Andrew.

All sounds very promising. In fact I have started a thread under "Soldiers" using the topic name "Carter Paterson's Boys" because I had a thought that he may have signed up along with "pals" from Carter Paterson which was a road haulage company. One of his medals (which I have) was addressed "c/o Carter Paterson's Boys" and I'm still trying to understand it.

Anyway, one of the replies came from a member called "High Wood" and he reckons, based on date of entry into France on his medal card, September 21st 1915, that my grandfather was probably with a RFA Brigade attached to the 26th Division which was subsequently posted to Salonika. This accords with family memories that he was in Salonika and I have a photo of him convalescing in a hospital there (I would attach it but I haven't worked out how to do that yet; same goes for the medal card !).

I hope all this answers your questions bar one: he was born in 1895 but I have not yet established when he enlisted though his regiment number, 53546, is relatively low.

I guess that's all at the moment. Thanks for your prompt and helpful response.

Regards,

John

Hi John,

I would be only to happy to help. In the time since these posts in this thread I have been able to collect a lot of information regarding the artillery of the 26th Division. I am sure there is something I will be able to help you with. (And yes his name was Louis Francis Eggleton)

First of all I suggest you start your own thread as this will get the most attention from the Old Pals on the forum and that can only be a good thing. I suggest at this stage you don't post it under the Salonika forum unless you are absolutely certain that your grandfather went to Salonika - it may have a broader appeal. I suggest you attach the medal index card (MIC) to the post as this will help others and myself.

Now for some questions,

1. What makes you think he went to Salonika?

2. What makes you think he was in the 26th Division?

3. Was your Grandfather born in England? If so do you know when?

Look forward to hearing more,

Andrew