Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd East Surrey Regt

Marc Thompson

I am currently researching Pte L/10048 William Charles Garrard 2/East Surrey's who died 17/03/15 and is buried in Longuenesse (St.Omer) Souvenir Cemetery. I have acquired all the normal sources of information on Pte Garrard and will contact the Surrey History Centre in the hope of obtaining some further background on his military service. In relation to this, can anyone provide a possbile date of enlistment given his regimental no. L/10048 and tell me what the 'L' prefix signifies?

Many thanks

Marc

can anyone provide a possbile date of enlistment given his regimental no. L/10048 and tell me what the 'L' prefix signifies?

Marc

L/ prefix indicates a regular soldier.

Attestation dates of some of the East Surrey men with service numbers around Garrard's....

20 Apr 1910 = 10002 Robert Chambers

23 Apr 1910 = 10003 Arthur Charles Chandler

14 May 1910 = 10013 Edward Thomas Alfred Baker

17 Jun 1910 = 10028 Joseph Kidd

13 Sep 1910 = 10045 Charles Henry Jones

18 Oct 1910 = 10068 John Manton

22 Oct 1910 = 10073 Albert Brooks

25 Oct 1910 = 10078 William Chandler

Hope it helps.

Steve

Marc

Detais are from Surrey History Centre's "Surrey Recruitment Registers" CD

1. Attested for 3rd Battalion East Surrey Regiment in June 1910 (Vol.37 Page 92)....

post-1432-1232848659.jpg

2. Attested for East Surrey Regiment three months later in October 1910 (Vol. 35 Page 67)....

post-1432-1232848825.jpg

L/ prefix indicates a regular soldier.

of the Home Counties Regiments

More precisely all those in No. 10 Grouped Regimental District plus the Royal Fusiliers as I've been reprimanded in the past for including Sussex as a 'Home County' ;)

Regards

Steve

Great stuff! Many thanks Steve, that is really useful.

Marc

More precisely all those in No. 10 Grouped Regimental District plus the Royal Fusiliers as I've been reprimanded in the past for including Sussex as a 'Home County'

Thanks for the clarification Steve

Jon

• 9 months later...
Guest Rocketeer_64
I am currently researching Pte L/10048 William Charles Garrard 2/East Surrey's who died 17/03/15 and is buried in Longuenesse (St.Omer) Souvenir Cemetery. I have acquired all the normal sources of information on Pte Garrard and will contact the Surrey History Centre in the hope of obtaining some further background on his military service. In relation to this, can anyone provide a possbile date of enlistment given his regimental no. L/10048 and tell me what the 'L' prefix signifies?

Many thanks

Marc

Guest Rocketeer_64

Hi

I'm related to William Garrard and have done some background work on his history and can help with some information. If you wish to find out any more please contact me by email

Regards

Richard

Jon

The phrase 'Home counties regiments' has crept in by the back door, and was never official. The prefixes seem to have been invented [and a very good idea too] c. 1908, which may indicate that this was an attempt to get round the problems of 'duplicate' numbers with the new SR and TF battalions. Trouble with the prefixes is the spasmodic use: first you see them, then you don't: medals, headstones, MiCs etc might or might not use them.

Steve E. clearly learns from my rebukes! as ever, well intended.

Nothing gets an old Sussex man's goat quicker than his county being attributed 'home'! As does nothing quicker than saying a Hove man [Grumpy eg] comes from Brighton. Amongst other things, Hove is the home of Sussex CCC, and was the home of the Albion. And had an excellent County Grammar School until the levelling down process.

• 6 months later...

Hi Richard,

I'm currently researching the men from Carshalton who died during the war. The Surrey Recruitment Register shows that William was born in the area although he had obviously moved by the time he enlisted. Would be grateful if you could let me have any further info you might have about him.

Kind Regards,

ASA1

ASA1,

I see you've already picked up the fact that Frank Pickering is listed in the CCCBR roll of honour, don't know if you've seen that the site has recently been updated with pictures from teh Thiepval Memorial, http://www.cccbr.org.uk/rolls/casualties/d...p;casID=1548192.

Hi David,

I hadn't - many thanks for the pointer.

ASA1

Jon

Nearly!

A common misconception ...... the R Sussex used L/ and Sussex is not, and never was, a Home County, being nowhere contiguous with London.

No. 10 Grouped Regimental District, plus R Fus., plus R.Sx all used the prefix.

Nearly!

A common misconception ...... the R Sussex used L/ and Sussex is not, and never was, a Home County, being nowhere contiguous with London.

No. 10 Grouped Regimental District, plus R Fus., plus R.Sx all used the prefix.

It's an old thread Grumps :whistle: you've already put this one right on an earlier post ;)

As an aside, have I missed something? Weren't the Royal Sussex part of No. 10 Grouped Regimental District?

Regards

Steve

L in front of a Middlesex Regt soldier (2nd Battalion): would that be a "home counties" or pre war?

Regards

TT

L in front of a Middlesex Regt soldier (2nd Battalion): would that be a "home counties" or pre war?

TT

Possibly both. The regiments in No. 10 Grouped Regimental District (Middlesex, Queen's Royal West Surrey, East Surrey, East Kent, Royal West Kent and Royal Sussex) plus the Royal Fusiliers used the L/ prefix to denote soldiers on regular engagements.

It's not certain when these regiments started using the prefix but Grumpy, in his work on "Regimental and Army Numbers of the British Line Infantry Soldier", suggests 1907 or 1908 as a possibility but there's some evidence to suggest it could be as early as 1902/3 for some of the regiments, Grumpy's the man who may have the answers. In your man's case I believe the number will have been issued sometime from 1907/8 onwards when the Middlesex joined No. 10 District. Regular engagements didn't stop when war commenced so the L/ prefix continued to be used, I'm sure your man's number could be used to determine when roughly it was issued. It would be interesting to know when the use of the L/ prefix ceased, I suspect on the advent of the seven-digit number, Grumpy?.

Regards

Steve

It's an old thread Grumps :whistle: you've already put this one right on an earlier post ;)

As an aside, have I missed something? Weren't the Royal Sussex part of No. 10 Grouped Regimental District?

Regards

Steve

Yes, sorry I did not make that clear, R Sx part of 10 Group not part of Home Counties [us Hove boys are a bit touchy about not being tainted with London!]

Paul Nixon's work shows L prefix can be dated back to end of SA war c. 1902.

These prefixes were never used in any whole-hearted and consistent way: they may or not be found in a soldier's documents, on his medals, or on his headstone. In theory and very possibly in fact, a prewar enlistment could easily have carried his number complete with prefix right through to the renumbering of 1920.

For more insight, visit Paul's blog, and look for regular enlistments into the regiments of the No. 10 group, plus R Fus.