Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Hussars

Harkness

Hello Everyone

Here is a cropped photo taken at the unnamed barracks pre WW1. I am certain they were part of The Old Contemptibles during WW1.

In the centre sitting are William G S Cadogan, kia 12 Nov 1914 and Arthur Annesley kia 16 Nov 1914.

In the second row, 4th from left, is my grandfather Christopher Silverwood who survived the war.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who may recognise his/her ancestor so that I can put names to the faces!

Christina

post-19920-1232818506.jpg

If you can spot a Hussar/Corporal/Sergeant Saddle Tree Maker it may be a Mr H.Adcock!! {No SA Service}

If you can spot a Hussar/Corporal/Sergeant Saddle Tree Maker it may be a Mr H.Adcock!! {No SA Service}

I am sorry I don't understand your comment

Christina

Hello christina.What a great photo ,my great uncle was in the 10th hussars up to about 1900 ?.This photo look about that time but he was a bandsman ,corporal George tristram looks a bit like the man first row second left .I am surprised at the poor respons you got from your post .I know there are a few 10th hussars buffs on the foum .You could try the hussar museum . THE KINGS ROYAL HUSSARS MUSEUM. ROMSEY ROAD.WINCHESTER SO23 8TS

EMAIL BERESFORD@KRHMUSEUM.FREESERVE.CO.UK I sent a email to them some time ago about my great uncle but got nothing back ,hope you have better luck.But dont give up.all the best Tom

I have just spotted an error in my first post! My grandfather is 4th from right not left in the second row!

Hello Tom

Thank you for your encouraging message! When I was new to family and military history in 2000 I contacted the museum who were not able to help. My grandfather was the second husband of my grandmother whose first husband was Frank Green kia at Monchy in 1917. Frank kept a small diary up to 1915 which contains several names. I did some research on these soldiers.

It is tantilising not being able to link names with the soldiers in this grand photo! The regiment was in India for the Delhi Durbar 1911 and Potchesfroom, South Africa from where they sailed back to England when WW1 began.

Christina

I am sorry I don't understand your comment

Christina

Sorry Christina;

I was referring to the possible trade & rank of {possibly} one of the Soldiers who would have made saddlery~viz: A Sergeant Saddle Tree Maker~one who made Saddle trees ~The framework of Saddles,my apologies.

Hello christina. I wonder have you ever tried to trace the descendants of the named men you have on the 1911 or 1901 census ? say pick out a name thats not very common or try genes united .just a thought .Tom

Hello christina. I wonder have you ever tried to trace the descendants of the named men you have on the 1911 or 1901 census ? say pick out a name thats not very common or try genes united .just a thought .Tom

Not really, Tom, although I traced the family of Frank Green a few years ago. Frank is commemmorated on the Tushingham War Memorial in Cheshire. My research on XRH is an ongoing project for my personal enjoyment! Thank you for your thought!

Christina

Hello christina .I did not tell you that my great uncle left the hussars and later joined the royal marines artillery band portsmouth and sailed on the royal Medina with the king to the Dubar in Delhi. i wonder if he met up with any of his old 10th hussar comrads out there ,i bet he did . I am also wondering if your photo was taken in india the tree on the right looks a bit tropical. Tom

Hi Christina,

just a thought, but have you tried the Kings Royal Hussars website. Although there are no old pics on it, there is a contact page and a chat room. On amalgamation ( 14th Kings Hussars and Royal hussars, RH made up by amalgamation of the 10th and 11 hussars in 1969 ) many had long familiy ties to the 10th.

Secondly the KRH officers mess has alot of books, diaries papers going back decades, which may be of help.

If I am able to, I will make some enquiries and if my busy schedule allows, will try to search their library.

Do you have any idea which troop and squadron he was in? or a rough date of the photograph.

the unoffial site: http://www.krh.me.uk/

bizzarely Cant seem to find the official site.

Hope some of thei helps

Regards Percy