Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

C.E.F Medals

Guest gen_wizard

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Pals,

I have just recieved a copy of a book which lists Foreign Awards, Awards to Nursing Services and Mentioned in Dispatches for the C.E.F. 1914-1919. It lists medals, Regt Number, Rank, Initals, Date they were Gazetted in London and Canada and Unit.

Ranks are shown are those held at the time of the award. It seems most foreign awards are included including French, Belgium, and even Siam and Montenegro.

Anybody who wishes me to do a look up can they please give me as much imformation about the person as they can so i can make sure that it is the right person.

Regards to all

Mike

• 1 month later...

Hi

What is the title of your book? I have been trying to nail down all the awards to the 25th Battalion. So far I have been able to get the awards to 242 officers and men. I have all the D.S.O., M.C., D.C.M. M.S.M and M.M. to the unit But the foreign awards and the dispatches Have eluded me. I have the names of Most of them but Ithink I may be missing a few, more so the M.I.D.'s dose your book list them by unit by any chance.

Best Regards

N.S.Regt.

Guest gen_wizard

Hi NS Regt

The books name is Canadian Foreign Awards and where possible the author has included the unit. I can check right through the whole book for you and post all those that i have from the 25th Battalion. I'm on leave for a week from Monday so i'll take the book with me and make a list and then post it here for you if you would like.

Regards

Mike

Hi.

That would be great. Here is a List of the MID and Foreign awards I know most I have not confirmed yet. The rank given is the highest I know of at the I time I did my research.

Lt col. A.S. Blois D.S.O., MID

Lt. Col. E. Hillam D.S.O. and Bar, French Croix de Guerre, 5 MIDs

Lt. Col. C.J. Mersereau D.S.O., MID

Lt. Col. J.Wise D.S.O., M.C., French Croix de Guerre, MID

Mjr. D.S. Bauld MID

Mjr. W.B. Coulter MID

Mjr. J.A. Delancey M.C., 3 MIDs

Mjr. G.M. Matheson D.S.O., M.C., M.M., MIC

Capt. G.M. Anderson M.C. and Bar, MID

Capt. T.H. Fisher M.C. and Bar, MID

Capt. J.W. Grant MID

Capt. N.H. Wetmore MID

Lt. R.N. Clements M.C., MID

Lt. J.D. Doughty Ordre du Merite Agricole

Lt. G.M. MacNeil M.C., 2 MIDs

Lt. F.M. Shirriff MID

R.Q.M.S. 67808 F Ward MID

C.Q.M.S. 67165 D. Chipman MID

C.Q.M.S 67480 G. Hills MID

C.Q.M.S. 67142 C.L. Smith MID

C.M.S. 67853 W. Boudreau D.C.M., M.M. and Bar , Croix de Virtue

C.S.M. 67381 T.D. Hurley D.C.M., French Croix De Guerre

Sgt. 406273 W. Carter Belgain Croix de guerre

Sgt. 67111 A. Fogarty M.M., Belgain Croix de Guerre

Sgt. 67688 J.W. McKenzie Belgain Croix de Guerre

Cpl. 67286 E. Hatch Belgain Croix de Guerre

Cpl. 68468 C. Wheadon MID

Pte. J. McInnes MID Not sure but may have serial NR a14506 or 414506 or may be a different person? if you find him let me know his number

Pte. 101631 T. Mickareh Cross of St. George

Pte 67673 C. Shoud MID

Pte. 414761 A. Stanwick MID 25th Battalion attached R.E. Mesoptamia

Pte. 67765 G. Welsh MID

Pte. 734381 A.R. Winfield MID

You do not have to do the list over but let me know if there are any changes I have to make or if there are any additions. Do not include anything if the information is correct.

Thanks in advance

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Guest gen_wizard

Hi

Would you also like the dates that they were gazetted in both London and Canada where i have dates? I'll have to double check some of the lists i have as some parts of the lists only have inf next to them so i'll check this all out before i post anything about them for you. Where i don't have the unit it might take me a while to get sorted but i will post anything else i have when i get back from leave so you have something to get on with.

Regards

Mike

Hi

No just to have them confirmed would be great.

Thanks and best regards

N.S.Regt.

Hi Mike,

I would be grateful if you could look up Private Arthur Ricard 3155574 who is listed on the Canadian Virtual War Memorial as having won the Meritorious Service Medal.

TIA

marc

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Marc,

Do you know which country the medal is from. The book does not cover Canadian or British medals won. I'm only too pleased to do a look up for you. I've had so much help in the past few months form you lads across the pond.

Regards

Mike

OK. Thanks, Mike. I believe that this was either Canadain or British

marc

I have two names to request a look-up:

Private Richard William Mercer, 911016, CEF, Borden Motor Machine Gun Battery, 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade

Private Alexander Lawrence Finlayson, 911462, CEF, Borden Motor Machine Gun Battery, 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade

Thanks.

Dwight Mercer, Regina, Canada

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Dwight,

My book is already packed to go away on hols with me so i'll do your look up when i'm on leave and post what i have in about a weeks time when i return.

Regards

Mike

Hello Mike,

Would appreciate a look up for Pt Joseph Patrick Farrell 45631 1st Btn. Canadian Machine Gun Corps (Auto Machine Gun Brigade.)

Many thanks,

Anita.

Guest gen_wizard

Hi Anita,

Just got back from holiday so i'll check out the book for you tomorrow. Hope this is ok.

Dwight.

Nothing on your two guys i'm afraid, sorry.

NS REGT

I do have some imfo for you, i'll post it for you tomorrow. Its just some minor imfo but it might help you with your research.

Regards to all

Mike

Guest gen_wizard

Hi NS Regt,

Here are the results of the look ups that you wanted. Nothing much but a few things different to the imformation that you posted.

Lt Col A.S. Blois, initals given are A.O. not A.S. of the NSR, which i gather is

Nova Scotia Regt.

Lt Col E Hillam, I have his name spelt as Hilliam. He won 2 MID's as a Lt Col and 3

as a B/Gen.

Lt Col Merserau not mentioned in the book.

Lt Col J Wise won the French Croix de Guerre as a Lt.

Mjr J.A. Delancey only mentioned once for MID.

Mjr G.M. Matheson won his MID as a Capt.

Capt G.M. Anderson won his MID as a Lt in the NSR.

Capt T.H. Fisher won his as Lt in the NSR.

Lt R.N. Clements NSR.

Lt J.D. Doughty, not listed in the book.

Lt G.M. Macneil, not listed in the book.

Lt F.M. Shirriff, only listed as infantry and initals as F.Mc.

R.Q.M.S. 67808 F Ward, NSR

C.Q.M.S. 67142 C.L. Smith, i have his intials as C.A.

C.S.M. 67381 won his French Coix de Guerre as a SGT.

Sgt 406273 W. Carter. i have his number as 406278.

Sgt 67111 A. Fogarty. I have his number as 68223 and his initals as J.A.

Pte J. McInnes. Not listed in the book.

Pte 101631 T. Mickareh. He won the Cross of St George 4th class and his name

is spelt Mickarek

Pte 67673 C. Shoud. I have his name spelt Shoul.

C.M.S. 67853 W. Boudreau. Which country is the Croix de Virtue from as i can't

find this one listed in my book?

I hope this is going to be of use to you.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Gen_Wizard

Thanks for the look ups every little bit helps I will recheck spellings and numbers on my shipping list. I am happy you took the time to check this for me. Most of the Information I used for my list came from the news papers and some of the battalion records I have so there are bound to be some mistakes.

Thanks again

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Gen_Wizard

Forgot to mention I seem to think the croix de virtue is a Roumanian award.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Guest gen_wizard

Hi NS Regt,

You are right about the Croix de Virtue being a Romanian medal. And your man is there, one of two CEF soldiers to be awarded this medal. The other one being a CSM of the EOR. Both gazetted in 1919 in both Canada and London. Hope that clears that up.

Regards

Mike

Guest gen_wizard

hi Anita,

I'm sorry but there is no mention of the guy you asked about. Don't be put off by this, it maybe that the book is not totally 100% complete.

Regards

Mike

That would be great. Here is a List of the MID and Foreign awards I know most I have not confirmed yet. The rank given is the highest I know of at the I time I did my research.

Another useful book on foreign awards to Canadians is: "The Canadian Military Register of Foreign Awards" by F. S. Dowe. Based on that book the following comments can be made.

Lt. Col. E. Hillam D.S.O. and Bar, French Croix de Guerre, 5 MIDs. Listed for the French Croix de Guerre under the name Hilliam. A Brig. General E. Hillman, NSR, is listed as receiving the Chevalier of the Legion of Honor and the Croix de Guerre with Palmes. He appears to be the same person.

Lt. J.D. Doughty Ordre du Merite Agricole - Listed as a Chevalier of the order.

C.M.S. 67853 W. Boudreau D.C.M., M.M. and Bar , Croix de Virtue - listed as receiving the First Class of the Rumanian Cross of Military Virtue.

C.S.M. 67381 T.D. Hurley D.C.M., French Croix De Guerre - listed as receiving the award as a Sgt in the 25th Bn.

Sgt. 406273 W. Carter Belgain Croix de guerre - listed as receiving the award as a Sgt in the Canadian Infantry

Sgt. 67111 A. Fogarty M.M., Belgain Croix de Guerre - not listed; there is a 68233 Sgt J. Fogarty, Canadian Infantry.

Sgt. 67688 J.W. McKenzie Belgain Croix de Guerre - listed as 25th Bn.

Cpl. 67286 E. Hatch Belgain Croix de Guerre - listed as 25th Bn.

Pte. 101631 T. Mickareh Cross of St. George - not listed; nor is he listed in the so-called "Confidential List" at the National Archives (these awards were not announced in the London Gazette.

Regards. Dick Flory

Hi Dick

Thanks for the additional information every little peice gets me a little closer to my goal Just have to recheck the names and numbers and I will have it completed.

I have been working on this for a while and it will be nice when finished.

Gen_ Wizard thanks also for the information on Boudreau I did not know there was only two awards of the Croix de Virtue to Canadians.

Best Regards

N.S.Regt.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for looking anyway.

Regards,

Anita.