Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

REPORT ON SOMME VISIT

KIRKY

:rolleyes:

Thought I would report on our recent trip to the Somme to make all you armchair readers jealous!

Had a wonderful 4 day trip last week, security at Tunnel sadly missing. Stay at Bernafay wood wonderful!

Ok the fields are currently great to walk so long as the weather holds. We walked Boom Ravine in a dreadful gale/rainstorm and got soaked! Collected several pounds of mud underfoot and this completely exhausted us, we walked about 6 miles in total but without 60lbs of gear or a rifle or bombs falling around us so it was not that bad!

Tommies Bar was subdued? Lacking usual atmosphere but met some interesting guys there, Andy from Stockport who was a great help and 2 other guys one a policeman from Birmingham and the other a bird warden from Sussex- great guys.

We also walked the track of the S Staffs from Bazentine to High Wood. Spent a couple of days field walking and I found usual buttons, fuses, buckles etc. Best finds were a Canada shoulder title, Roman coin, Crucifix, bone toothbrush handle, spoon and the most interesting was a named cut throat razor at Serre.

Sorry if annoy the purists for picking up these items but its part of the reason for us going as well as remembering the dead.

Return trip no problems with customs who were not interested in us at all.

Only 11 months and 28 days to the next visit!

Kirky

Interesting visit. What's the protocol / law regarding field walking, what techniques?

Neil

Neil,

Technically with out permission it's trespassing and picking up relics is against French law. Many a thread page has already been written about the pros and cons of these. Some other Pals will remember the thread titles better than I and I'm sure some of them will help you find them, I hope.

At the same time, with out sounding the hypocrite, it doesn't seem like many farmers mind as long as the fields are not planted or you are not walking though the forest disturbing the wild game.

Kirky,

True to your words I am jealous but it looks like I'll be coming over in mid May for a romp! Yippee! :) I'm glad to hear you had a wonderful trip.

Jon

Kirky,

do you have any photos taken on the walk from Bazentin to High Wood?

I would be interested in getting some of those views from you, if possible.

Peter ;)

Peter

I have a small selection taken last year if you would like them.

I could email them off-forum in a Zip file.

Martin

Terry

yes from research so far he was in Accrington Pals and killed 1/2 July 1916.

Tony

Martin,

that would be very much appreciated. When I was there with Tom Morgan I took quite a few photos but if I was "magically' transported back there, I would do the walk that Kirky did, to walk in the steps of those on the 14th July 1916. It has certainly awakened a deep interest in me to understand the topography of that area without the shells and the rest that occurred then.

Thanks very much.

my email direct is: peter@beckettcon.com.au

Peter ;)

II was a couple of years ago , and walked about Moquet Farm. A farmer or farmhand Told pointed out various bits of chalk which I duly picked up. When I got back home A dip into dilute Spirits of Salts revealed Fuse caps , Fuse setting rings, buckles ,shoulder titles, and shrapnel balls, also spent rifle/mg rounds. So if you se any bits/lumps of chalk, pickthem up. Sept/Oct/Nov are the best months. the previous crop is away. the land has been ploughed and harrowed and the rain has done its work .

I am jealous, but I find the advice about walking through the fields very helpful. When I visited the front the questions about trespassing were always going through my head. I was always respectful of the property, but I had the desire to stand in the exact spot where things happened.

Andy