Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieut Thewlis 1stBn Coldstream Gds KIA 15/9/1916

Guest thwaitey2004

Guest thwaitey2004

Lieutenant Frank Thewlis MC was my great grandfathers (Thomas Tarmey 2COY, 1st Bn Coldstream Guards) Platoon Commander when they went into battle on the Somme 15th Sep 1916. As they advanced across "no man's land" Thewlis was hit, my grandad wasnt sure how hed been hit, but he saw him go down beside him, shortly after my grandad was shot through the neck, but survived. Lieutenant Thewlis was never found and is remembered on the memorial to the missing at Thiepval on the Somme. We have quite alot of info on him, from the Commonwealth war graves website, but we just want to know if anyone is related to this Officer? and if anyone has pictures of the Coldstream from around that time which he might be on, we assume that he was in 2Company, because that what my grandad was in. Thewlis was also awarded the Military Cross, does anyone know how we can find out how he won it? Hope someone can help.

From the London Gazette, 31st May 1916 (page 5408)

Citation for Military Cross

Lt. Frank Thewlis, Spec. Res.(attd.1st

Bn.), C.Gds.

For conspicuous gallantry. After an in-

tense bombardment by the enemy,which

demolished parts of his trench, and during

which he was himself twice buried, he

rallied the men round him and drove out a

party of the enemy which had penetrated

into the trench.

Guest thwaitey2004

Many thanks for your input. we've been waiting ages for this info! Do you know where he won the MC? And also do you know if he was 2COY CG at the time?

If you can get to the PRO at Kew you could call up his file and it may contain other info. Also the unit War Diary is likely to mention him (and he might appear too in Brigade and Divisional diaries etc.) You can order copies of his personal file online from the PRO (National Archives) - find his service number first - website but you would be ordering blind.

Bernard Lewis

Now you have the London Gazette date you could look up the citation at the National Archives in WO 389/1-8. These eight files contain copies of MC citations from the Gazette. Many of the citations are accompanied by hand-written notes giving the location and date of the incident leading to the award. You could then look up the relevant date in the Battalion War Diary which might give further information.

There is also a service file at the National Archives for a THEWLIS F, Lieut at WO 339/31852 – this may well be your man.

Regards

Mark

Guest thwaitey2004

Thanks, is it possible to search the National Archives online? im new to this so any help you can give will be much appreciated :)

Yes you can search online though I've not used it lately - used to be called PROCAT - not sure about now. In my experience the sort of info that you want could only be obtained by looking at the file - you'll (probably) be able to identify the file reference you need (another Pal has kindly placed the personal file number in an earlier post) but you won't know whats on there until you see it. You can order and pay online - they'll give you a quote - but then you'll be buying blind.

I've been to the PRO several times and there is no substitute. I also ordered a file copy online and it was a slick process and I was happy with what came too - medical reports for an officer, postings, letter copies etc. - but every file is different.

Bernard Lewis

• 10 months later...

Hello

If you are still after info let me know and I will look up this officer

Ian

• 3 years later...
Lieutenant Frank Thewlis MC was my great grandfathers (Thomas Tarmey 2COY, 1st Bn Coldstream Guards) Platoon Commander when they went into battle on the Somme 15th Sep 1916. As they advanced across "no man's land" Thewlis was hit, my grandad wasnt sure how hed been hit, but he saw him go down beside him, shortly after my grandad was shot through the neck, but survived. Lieutenant Thewlis was never found and is remembered on the memorial to the missing at Thiepval on the Somme. We have quite alot of info on him, from the Commonwealth war graves website, but we just want to know if anyone is related to this Officer? and if anyone has pictures of the Coldstream from around that time which he might be on, we assume that he was in 2Company, because that what my grandad was in. Thewlis was also awarded the Military Cross, does anyone know how we can find out how he won it? Hope someone can help.

(THE SCOTS GUARDS IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918) (page 139) Wieltje 1916 could this be how he won his MC.Lieutenant THEWLIS 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards turns up with 20 men trenches untenable.

Did you get a picture of Lieutenant Thewlis? i am putting together a picture of what happened on 19/04/1916 when my Great Uncle Harry Dickinson 4th Battalion Grenadier Guards was killed the 2nd Scots Guards,4th Grenadiers and 1st Coldstream were all involved in the action.If you do get a picture please let us know as i would love one too.Cheers.

I'd be interested in a picture too as he would be a relative of mine. He had a short but interesting time in the army.

Cheers,

David Thewlis

I dont have one sorry

• 12 years later...

Replying 16 years on......

Lieutenant Frank Thewlis was my Great Uncle.

His Father Joseph and my Grandfather John were brothers.

My father (also a Frank, now aged 95) inherited Lieutenant Franks' Military Cross and has it in safe keeping (photo attached)

We have a photo of Lieutenant Frank in uniform (my Dad will need a bit of time to locate this), however no photograph of the Battalion.

The citation reads:

"For conspicuous gallantry. After an intense bombardment by the enemy, which demolished parts of his trench and during which he was himself twice buried, he rallied the men around him and drove out a party of the enemy which had penetrated into the trench".

This is the full record:

"In the early part of 1916, Frank was in the front line when the enemy mounted an attack. He was awarded the Military Cross for his bravery on that day. The official citation reads "For conspicuous gallantry. After an intense bombardment by the enemy, which demolished parts of his trench and during which he was himself twice buried, he rallied the men around him and drove out a party of the enemy which had penetrated into the trench".

It is uncertain when this action was. It was possibly on 19 April 2016 when Frank's service file records that he was briefly hospitalised with shell shock.

The Battle of the Somme started on 1 July but the Coldstream Guards were not involved that soon. Nor did they see any major action in the weeks that followed immediately afterwards.

However, the Battalion War Diary records that by 15 September 1916 almost all the officers had become casualties and the Battalion was very much split up and men were intermingled with other attacking units. The final Diary entry for the day notes that the Battalion had started the attack with 17 officers and 690 other ranks and had come out with only 3 officers and 221 men. There is a note that Frank was wounded and missing.

Frank’s body was never found and identified but his name is commemorated on the Memorial to the Missing at nearby Thiepval."

Happy to correspond further to build a picture of what happened to your Great Grandfather and my Great Uncle.

Attached is an extract from The London Gazette 30 May 1916 which I'm sure you have seen as it also mentions Lance Corporal Thomas Tarmey, and an extract from "www.Stockport 1914-1918.co.uk"

Best wishes

Peter Thewlis

Lieutenant Frank Denton Hero.png

Frank Thewlis MC tribute.pdf Stockports Soldier Frank THEWLIS MC part of COLDSTREAM GUARDS on STOCKPORT memorial and buried at Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France.pdf

I'll recheck my records 

Does the family have his other medals or just the MC '?

• 3 weeks later...