Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Div Wing C.C.R.C.

78th Battalion

What does 3rd Div Wing, C.C.R.C. mean. Is this the H.Q. of the 3rd Division? Some think the Wing means air Force. Did each of the Canadian Divisions use the same title. Appears to be a place where courses are given etc and where reinforcements are sent out. Thanks

Ed

Hello Ed

I have not come across CCRC before, but it could well refer to Canadian Corps Recruitment (or Reinforcement) Centre, which might have been divided into separate Wings to cover recruits for each division.

The word Wing does sometimes occur in this context, so an air force/flying corps connection is less likely, given the absence of an "F".

Is it specifically in a WW1 context?

Ron

Ron, I have seen it in 4th Division and 3rd Division War Diaries. Mostly concerns Officers coming as reinforcements,dido Other Ranks. Also when some one is sent there for training. I have seen it listed in a soldiers Service record.

(ie: 4.8.18 Command : 3rd Divn Wing , stayed for a month then returned to unit. I think its mainly a WWI issue but haven't checked WWII. You can google but I find nothing to indicate what the initials mean. Thanks

Ed

Ed

Thanks. My original suggestion, or something very like it - fubctionally, at least - is looking more plausible.

Ron