Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Kaiser's Battle

Thomas

Hi everyone,

Since the Michael offensive started on the 21st of March, can anyone tell me if there have been any services of remembrance out on the Western Front for the start of the Michael Offensive?

Thanks in advance,

From,

Thomas McCall.

Thomas,

I'm glad you posted that reminder. It totally slipped my mind with the forum relocation and all. I've got a few photos of the Battle Area where the 9th Scottish Division fought at the opening of Operation Michael. I'll try and post them tonight from home.

Jon

P.S. I'm related to the McCall Clan by marriage. :) Where do you hail from?

In memoriam - Acting Lieutenant KS Hemingway 10th Worcestershire; killed in action at Doignes - 21st March 1918.

9th Scottish Div battle area 21 Mar 18, which was the southern shoulder of the Fesquieres salient. This first shot is of the British side of Chapel Hill, which a company of the 28th South African Scottish had to trough the Germans off when the 21st Div who was on their right flank pulled out. I found part of German helmet near the crest soon after this picture was taken. :)

That's Gauche Wood in the background, part of the SA BDE’s main battle area.

post-4-1080090387.jpg

Hi Somme 1916,

I'm from Carmarthen in South West Wales, but my grandfather and every McCall before him in my family to my knowledge hailed from Glasgow. Where does your family hail from?

From,

Thomas McCall.

Thomas,

My wives part of the clan seems to come from Appin. We haven't totally nailed that down yet as they immigrated to Canada around 1747ish. Wonder why? ;) They then came south to the American Colonies in the 1760s and have been here ever sense. If you don't mind I'll send you an email and see if we can find some common family names.

Your very distant in law,

Jon

P.S. My mom was a Byres which is part of Clan Lindsay but I'm afraid no one in our family has research the roots back to Scotland yet.

Hi Somme 1916,

I don't mind you can send me an e-mail, I'm very interested in finding out anything about my family when they were living in Scotland. My family only moved to Wales in 1951 and I can't get any information on the family before that.

From,

Thomas McCall.

Here is an excerpt from the Borden Motor Machine Gun Brigade [C Battery men] of the 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade which I have been transcribing. This portion of the diary highlights some of the activities of this unit at this time.

The Borden Battery [56-men] was almost annihilated in blocking a large German force at Clery-sur-Somme. Fortunately, my Grandfather was one of the surviors.

I am looking for details regarding this German force. In addition, I would like to obtain more information on the "15th Cheshires, 35th Division" referred to on 24 March 1918.

----------------------------------------------------

Sat, Mar 23, 1918 VILLERS-BRETONNEUX, FRANCE

Fine

Battery left Camp about 5:30 AM. in convoy with the Canadian Corps Motor Machine Gun Brigade and proceeded to VILLERS-BRETONNEUX by way of ST. POL, DOULLENS and AMIENS arriving about 5 p.m.

At 9:30 p.m. Orders were received to “Stand by” and at 11:30 p.m. Battery moved off and proceeded to CORDIE, under Command of Capt. W.C. Nicholson, M.C., Lieut. F.G. Waldron and Lieut. R.H.A. West on arrival at CORBIE, about midnight.

Capt. Nicholson reported to the 7th Corps.

--- signed Lieut. F.P. O’Reilly, M.C.

Sun, Mar 24, 1918 VILLERS-BRETONNEUX, FRANCE

Fine

About 2 a.m. Battery proceeded to MARICOURT and came under the Orders of the 21st Division arriving there about 6 a.m. Orders were received to proceed to CLERY, and from there at 7:15 a.m. arrived at Support Line in H.4.C. Sheet 62C at 8 a.m..

A heavy smoke Barrage was blowing from the East, but not evident hostile activity. Two guns were placed in CLERY Village under command of Lieut. R.H.A. West, shortly after the Enemy broke through on our left flank and overran the Village.

One (of) our guns was blown up and the crew of the other completely killed or wounded, one officer, one N.C.O. and one man remained, they managed to save a Tripod.

The remaining guns were placed on the MARICOURT-CLERY Road in an old shallow Trench with no wire in front. This trend was on the forward slope of the Ridge, observation was good, and as good targets were constantly presenting themselves our Guns created great havoc.

We held this Trench until 1 p.m. during which time our Casualties were exceptionally severe. Lieut. F.G. Waldron and Lieut. R.H.A. West were killed by enemy snipers, they being very active, causing many casualties.

Our Guns kept up harassing fire until our Supply of ammunition became exceedingly low. There being a Trench 50 yards to the rear, behind a stronger line, the Guns were withdrawn to this stronger line.

Casualties were continually being received during the whole afternoon. Until 5 p.m. we had only 3 guns (1 out of action) Capt. W.C. Nicholson, one N.C.O. and two men.

We had been reinforced about 11:30 o’clock by the 15th Cheshires, 35th Division, and we arranged with them that we should hold the line until 8 p.m., but the Enemy attacked in force on our left flank, and at the same time on our front in mass. We were compelled to withdraw, but not before we had poured a terrible fire in the close Enemy Ranks.

While proceeding down the Road near Hemp Dump Capt. W.C. Nicholson was hit in the arm by a ricochet, and forced to leave the Line.

The remainder of the Battery, Sergt. A. Peek and two other Ranks were instructed to report to D.M.G.C. 35th Div., and were then given instructions to return to Brigade H.Q’s VILLERS-BRETONNEAUX arriving about 3 a.m. 25th inst.

During the latter part of the afternoon 8 O.R.s, who had been assisting out wounded, attached themselves to “B” Battery, and were joined later by 13 O.R.s under Sergt. C.D. Salkeld, who had arrived as reinforcements.

The Party rested at BRAY overnight.

Capt. Nicholson called up Lieut. Inch who had been back from the line with the men and the armoured cars. Inch was to try and get a message back to headquarters asking for immediate reinforcements. The message ran:

0. C. CDN CORPS MMG BDE

CIO 7th CORPS

Battery in position (sheet 62c) H5a 5050. 1 am in command of both machine-guns and infantry. We have only four guns left which are being manned; others captured or out of (action) order. Capt. Holland wounded. Lieuts. West and Waldron killed. Lieut. Snyder killed, wounded or prisoner. All my NCOs in Borden (‘C’) Battery casualties except one. I have only six men left. ‘B’ Battery has two NCOs, six ORs and one officer left. Both our flanks are in the air and we are being shelled by all calibres, snipers and machine-guns are busy. Enemy took Clery this a.m. about 9:30 and we are fairly well consolidated in an old trench 1000 yards west of the village. Here the infantry are being relieved tonight but no word of relief for us. Enemy aircraft are active. We have only one tripod left. Troops broke and ran this a.m. Great difficulty to rally them. One motorcycle blown up. Cars intact, also solos. Supply of ammunition short. No bombs or flares.

Weather good. Strong east wind. Very misty and many grass fires make it smoky, observation poor as consequence.

No support troops in evidence. Men in fair shape considering all but would heartily appreciate a rest.

Cars at Maricourt cross roads. Presence of Motor cars and our men undoubtedly saved situation somewhat. Capt. Holland did mighty fine work.

W.D. Nicholson Capt.

O.C. Borden M.M.G. Balleo,

3:55 p. in. 24-3 - / 8

by dispatch rider

Am trying to get in touch with Brigade but no answer yet DMGG and staff probably captured.

W.C.N.

Mon., Mar 25, 1918 HÉBECOURT, FRANCE- Ludendorff Offensive

Fine

Details attached to “B” Battery in the line, went into Action during the day patrolling the Roads in Armoured Cars.

At about 5:30 p.m. Orders were received to move Head Q’rtns to HÉBECOURT, leaving at 6 p.m. and arriving at HÉBECOURT about 8:30 p.m.

Tue., Mar 26, 1918 HÉBECOURT, FRANCE

Fine

Party in the line with “B” Battery continued using the Cars for sniping work during the day, at 3:30 p.m. the Cars withdrew out of action and returned to CORBY, rejoining the Brigade at HÉBECOURT about 2:20 a.m. 29th inst.

--- signed Lieut. F.P. O’Reilly , MC

Wed., Mar 27, 1918 HÉBECOURT, FRANCE

Fine

In reserve at HÉBECOURT.

Thu., Mar 28, 1918 HÉBECOURT, FRANCE

Dull with rain

In reserve HÉBECOURT

Fri., Mar 29, 1918 HÉBECOURT, FRANCE

Changeable, rain in A.M.

In reserve HÉBECOURT

The following Officers have been posted to this Battery.

Lieut. J.M. Pebbles

Lieut. A.E. Millward

#2069, Sergt. G.W. Cummins, Wounded in Action, while serving in the line with “B” Battery.

Sat, Mar 30, 1918 HÉBECOURT, FRANCE

Fine

Lieut. F.P.O’Reilly, MC, arrived at HÉBECOURT, and took command of the Battery.

Reorganization was commenced.

29 O.R.’s Taken on Strength from Can. Corps. M.MG. Reinft. Depot.

Dear All,

Can anyone tell me any details about the fighting in the Rosieres areas, either in March or August 1918. I have a BEM, to a Head Gardner with the IWGC, who looked after this area, and would like to know more about the fighting around this area, and the men and units buried in the local cemeteries. Can anyone help?

Kind regards,

Gordon Caldecott.