Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Lord Nelson ship badge

AaronR

Hello Aaron,

I haven't got a ship's crest image for you, but check out the following link for some very interesting photos of the old ship.

http://www.worldnavalships.com/lord_nelson.htm

HMS 'Lord Nelson' was a predreadnought WW1 battleship which saw action during the Dardanelles campaign and was later flagship of the Eastern Mediterranean Squadron.

(Not to be confused with WW2 battleship HMS 'Nelson' which would have entirely different ship's crest).

Nowadays, HMS Nelson is the name used for the RN barracks in Portsmouth.

Regards,

Michael

Weightman’s “Heraldry in the Royal Navy” does not list a badge for the LORD NELSON. However, a photograph of a collection of early unofficial badges in that book includes one in the shape of an ellipse, a gold border surrounding a black field with the letters “LN” in gold thereon. (I’m assuming that it is gold but it could equally well be silver).

I cannot think of another candidate for this badge. If it is the unofficial badge of the LORD NELSON, its designers did not show as much imagination as those responsible for the unofficial badge of her sister ship, AGAMEMNON

Thanks for all the replys, i followed that link for worldnavalships and this photo was there

hmslordnelsoncrew.jpg

Anyone know what that emblem is, or seen any other pics of it?

Weightman's "Heraldry in the Royal Navy" does not list a badge for the LORD NELSON. However, a photograph of a collection of early unofficial badges in that book includes one in the shape of an ellipse, a gold border surrounding a black field with the letters "LN" in gold thereon. (I'm assuming that it is gold but it could equally well be silver).

Would you be able to scan a picture of it for me, if its not too much trouble?

Thanks for all the replys, i followed that link for worldnavalships and this photo was there

hmslordnelsoncrew.jpg

Anyone know what that emblem is, or seen any other pics of it?

Well, it could be the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes.

post-7029-1232777348.jpg

Would you be able to scan a picture of it for me, if its not too much trouble?

And now that the photograph has been magnified the words LORD NELSON can be seen underneath the unofficial badge!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest chatterbox51
Does anyone know if this ship had a badge/ crest? im after a picture of it.

thanks

Hi Aaron - I don't have an official crest, but I do have a gun tompion crest from the Lord Nelson:

post-43923-1234573797.jpg

Clive

Oz

HMS 'Lord Nelson' ... saw action during the Dardanelles campaign

During which she was in the first wave for the naval attempt to rush the Straights without army support. On 25th April 1915 her ships boats landed troops on 'V' Beach.

Aaron's great grandfather was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal for his service in the boats crews; during which operation he was wounded.

Gazette Issue 29264 published on the 13 August 1915. Pages 8125 - 8132

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/292...upplements/8131

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/292...upplements/8132

Guest chatterbox51
What is the bore diameter?

The diameter of the crest is 10" overall. There are circumferential scratches and a central threaded hole in the rear (suggesting rotation as it was screwed onto a 'post', as against its use a bulkhead mounted decorative crest) and alignment (?) marks on the top and face. The size appears too small for main armament, and I believe she had no 6" secondary armanent (which might have suited this badge's diameter?) but 9.2". But I don't know how much overlap (from the bore diameter) that these tompion badges had. Also, it looks too big for the 3" QF guns. Has anyone any suggestions as to which guns this may have been fitted??

Its construction is hardwood, painted and gilded, with a Bakelite-like disc on which is mounted the cast metal bust. I purchased it in Bath, England about 30 years ago. As an ex-MoD member who has worked in Bath (which has a MoD Navy connection from way back), it may have come from the collection of a MoD or RN member in that area. Who knows?

• 4 weeks later...
post-7029-1232777348.jpg

And now that the photograph has been magnified the words LORD NELSON can be seen underneath the unofficial badge!

This is excellent, whereabouts did you find the picture or do you know where this is at or who owns it?

Hi Aaron - I don't have an official crest, but I do have a gun tompion crest from the Lord Nelson:

post-43923-1234573797.jpg

Clive

Oz

This is excellent, whereabouts did you find the picture or do you know where it is or who owns it?

This is excellent, whereabouts did you find the picture or do you know where this is at or who owns it?

This photograph of the LN badge is a detail of a page of unofficial badges in Weightman's "Heraldry in the Royal Navy - Crests & Badges of H.M. Ships", Gale & Folden Ltd., Aldershot, 1957.