Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

List of Awards to KSLI men

pgarwood

Can anyone tell me if such a list exists? I have a problem with a Cpl G. Davies KSLI , who villagers claim won the MM in WWI.

He lived in Monmouthshire near Penallt/Whitebrook area. I have searched for a listing but cannot find one.

The only other Davies I have is G/19982 George Davies RW KENTS whose MIC does not show any MM, but he certainly lived in the same village area.

Any help as always appreciated.

Peter

Hi Peter

There is a list in the Regimental History but this only give name and Regt. number. I am working on a K.S.L.I. datebase and can tell you there are two George Davies with am M.M. and there is a George Thomas Davies who came from or enlisted in Pengam, and I do not know where the other two came from. Do you have any other info. that may help ID your man.

Annette

Hello Annette,

I only have the list in one of our Parish Halls and that simply states "George Davies M.M. (Cpl) KSLI fought France and Belgium, frustrating but that is all I have to go on. So he would have resided in Penallt, Trellech or Catbrook or Whitebrook villages at the time.

Thanks

Peter

Hi Peter

There is a list in the Regimental History but this only give name and Regt. number. I am working on a K.S.L.I. datebase and can tell you there are two George Davies with am M.M. and there is a George Thomas Davies who came from or enlisted in Pengam, and I do not know where the other two came from. Do you have any other info. that may help ID your man.

Annette

Hi Peter

I only have the list in one of our Parish Halls and that simply states "George Davies M.M. (Cpl) KSLI fought France and Belgium

Have you looked through your local paper of the time, most M.M. award winners got a mention in their local papers ?

I did not record the details of the two George Davies', their details are :-

11607 L/Cpl. Davies, George, M.M. (Gazzetted 15-6-17). Landed overseas on 22/05/15 with 5th Battalion later trans. to 1st Battalion

12165 L/Cpl. Davies, George, M.M. Landed overseas on 22-24/07/15 with 6th Battalion "C" Comany.

Annette

Thanks Annette, I will try the papers but the reporting was not that good in WWI the outlying areas were not always featured. I will look to see if there is a final list of awards for WWI published somewhere.

Thanks

Peter