Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

After Attestment?

Saskatchewan

Hello All,

Correct me if I am wrong, Please, but Attestment is just the way a soldier signs up.

Right after attestment the man is posted to a unit and is off to training.

I hope I have this right.

Thanks for your time.

Chris

Chris

I think this depends upon when it was done, in the U.K. at least (but not Ireland).

If you volunteered in the early part of the war, yes, you attested and were sent off to your unit/depot straightaway. When the Derby Scheme was introduced in late 1915, men attested their willingness to serve, were placed in groups and called up 'in turn'; your official status being an army reservist in the interim period. From the records of men I've seen, this could show a man as having attested in December 1915 and being called up in April 1916.

Following conscription, every eligible person seems to have 'deemed' to have attested upon their coming of age and called up as and when the system demanded. Again, men were regarded as members of the army reserve (Class "A"?, can't remember) even when they'd taken no action themselves. I've seen records of men who'd 'attested' in February 1916 not being called up for another two years. Many of these were miners - many were around here - so there is the possibility that being members of a 'starred' profession might have added extra delays as men were combed out as casualties mounted.

Regards,

Jim

If you click on the 'Long Long Trail' link at the top left of the page, then put 'attest' into the search box, you will find another version of Jim's explanation.

Incidentally, I think 'attestation' was the version normally used, rather than 'attestment'.

D

Hello All,

I think I was short in providing info. Gfather joined in 1913. His Service Records are "burnt".

You are right attestation is a better word, I got attestment from his brother's Service Record.

Will try attest on the LLT.

Thanks

Chris