Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Labour Bureau SA (in EA)

thesamsonsed@gmail.com

In my research on East Africa, reference is often made to the SANLC or South African Native Labour Corps.

However, in looking up a personal record for someone who died in East Africa during WW1, I discovered they were enlisted in the Military Labour Bureau SA. Is this the same thing as the SANLC or would it be a different group? I'm inclined to think it's the latter as there was a list of white soldiers employed in the Native Labour Corps on which my individual did not feature.

It is clearly a South African corps/organisation (rather than Imperial) as the person enlisted straight into the Bureau in Pretoria having resigned from the Veterans' Reserve (in Potchefstroom). His enlistment papers are in the SANDF.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Many thanks

Kind regards

Anne

Anne

In 1915 the Military Labour Corps was formed. It was later renamed the Carrier Corps so I wonder if they are one and the same depending on time of enlistment?

Regards

Andrew

Thanks Andrew

That makes sense. I hadn't realised/thought there could be a change in name.

Best wishes

Anne

Ivor

Please go onto the CWGC site, go to Voi Cemetery and scroll down the list of units in the Report.

There's a whole new Great War world waiting out there for those who can force their boots out of and their attention away from the Western Front mud!

Regards

Harry