Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Drafts to India 1915

ddycher

All

Whilst going thru Beckes "Order of Battle of Divisions" today I picked up his statement that no drafts were sent to the Territorial Divisions in India through 1915.

This suprised me as I knew that numbers had been reduced back in the UK on second and third line Bn's to maintain establishment of the first line overseas. In addition I had time expired men returning to the UK and numerous ref's to drafts from India to Mesopotamia etc during the year. However checking back I can not find a single confirmed example of a draft leaving England in 1915 for the Wessex Division.

Anybody have information to the contrary ? Specifically with respect to the remaining Devons in India this means by the year they would have been badly depleted and far under war establishment. Would be interested in anybodies experiences with other regiments in India at the time to give a contempory position.

Regards

Dave

• 4 months later...

Just giving this another go.

Regards

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
Just giving this another go.

Regards

Dave

I have just read "The Siege" regarding Kut. it states in the book that the "English Regiments" where reinforced by drafts of English citizens and reservist who reported for duty while living in India. no numbers or other stats just a paragraph. this would make sense I am Sure there would have been thousands of reservist working in goverment jobs upon completion of their service stint.

Would make sense - to be honest had never considered OR's being supplemented by local reservists. Had only considered officers previously.

Thanks for the pointer.

Regards

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Additional information would probably be found in either War Office(later Army Council)Instruction's or Army Order's for 1915.

Thanks Graham

Will see what I can find.

Regards

Dave