Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Good Conduct Badge

ellasian

Ply 16692 was "in" the RMLI from Aug 1914 till Oct 1919. He got 1 GCB on 21 Aug 1916.

I read on some Navy site GCB's were awarded for every two years if ALL you "Character scores" were VG, which Great Grandads were.

So why wasn't he in possesion of a second GCB from 21 Aug 1918? Also was he underpaid for every day from then till he was invalidid?

MB

Also - not that there is any reason to suspect it here! - you don't get one if you are "crimed", and if you had one it is taken away. Just the one though; I am fairly sure that if you had two, you needed to be crimed twice to lose both.

Thanks, he didn't serve for long enough then, I doubt very much he'd have been a naughty boy from what I have been told by family.

thanks again

MB

Also - not that there is any reason to suspect it here! - you don't get one if you are "crimed", and if you had one it is taken away. Just the one though; I am fairly sure that if you had two, you needed to be crimed twice to lose both.

This would usually be noted on the service record.

"Also - not that there is any reason to suspect it here! - you don't get one if you are "crimed", and if you had one it is taken away. Just the one though; I am fairly sure that if you had two, you needed to be crimed twice to lose both."

You could loose all six with one crime, and the LS & GC to boot.

Regards Charles

"Also - not that there is any reason to suspect it here! - you don't get one if you are "crimed", and if you had one it is taken away. Just the one though; I am fairly sure that if you had two, you needed to be crimed twice to lose both."

You could loose all six with one crime, and the LS & GC to boot.

Regards Charles

Now that would spoil your day ! You would be paid less too, wouldn't you??

Sorry chaps .... by 1914 the second badge was after five years good conduct, and badges attracted no payment.

RMLI appear to have followed army rules, not RN, throughout.

Which part?

Regarding 5 years, Pay Warrant 1914 para 1081.

Regarding no money, same source, para 1101 ...... except in the increasingly rare cases of pre-1906 soldiers who elected to continue to receive service pay [retained rights] rather than proficiency pay. Any soldier re-engaging or extending service lost the right. There were a few men still drawing 1d per badge in 1914.

Regarding RMLI, I researched this aspect for my [hopefully] definitive article on Good Conduct Badges for MHS Journal .... could not find chapter and verse re. RMLI but usage was clearly as per, or very similar, to army.

Not convinced, the award of GCB to Royal Marines did not change until 1920 by Order in Council and this from thier own system to the Royal Navy's. Back dated to Feb 1919 and putting up badge pay to 3d per badge for the first three, the next three badges not drawing pay but were honorary.

Are you mixing these men up with the Army?.

RMLI are Royal Marines and under the regulation of the Admiralty.

So MB's chap would need to serve for 8 years to get his second badge.

Regards Charles

Yes, I was idle: this from my article in MHS Bulletin:

Marines appear to have always worn their badges army-style and under rules much as the army: King’s Regulations and Admiralty Instructions of 1913, for example, published very similar conditions except that the periods were 2, 6, 12, 18, 23 and 28 years with the customary possibility of acceleration by two years for the last three. In contrast to the army the 1d per badge was retained by the Royal Marines.

My apologies, I was writing from an imperfect memory.

Not convinced, the award of GCB to Royal Marines did not change until 1920 by Order in Council and this from thier own system to the Royal Navy's. Back dated to Feb 1919 and putting up badge pay to 3d per badge for the first three, the next three badges not drawing pay but were honorary.

Regards Charles

Intriguing: so RM adpted Navy scheme regarding badge periods, and Navy pay for the first three, then no more money for the next three. I believe the RN periods were 3,8,and 13, but what about the periods for the honorary three, please?

Looks like they only kept them if they had them.

Whereas there was this day read at the Board a Memorial from the Right Honourable the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty, dated the 29th day of April, 1920

Good Conduct Pay.- The daily pay for each Badge to be 3d. instead of 1d. Royal Marines in future to come under the same regulations as Naval Ratings, as regards good conduct Badges. Royal Marine ranks now in possession of more than three good conduct Badges to be paid at the new rates, for three Badges only; Badges in excess of three to be regarded as honorary, and in the event of a Badge being forfeited the forfeiture in the first instance to be applied to a paid Badge.

Regards Charles

Charles, many thanks ....... I am not surprised RM were brought to heel eventually.

Interestingly, c.1865 the Army and the Navy agreed that where badges and usages were similar, the RM would use army badges and catalogue references .... and have gently diverged ever since!

• 2 weeks later...

The Royal Marines also followed the army practice of issuing the non immediate Meritorious Service Medal.

The Army followed the Royal Navy's regulations for the honorary award of the Meritorious Service Medal when an annuity became vacant.

The Army never took precedence over the Royal Navy.

Regards Charles