Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

marsh in huddersfield memorial ?

veklee

hi can anyone tell me if there is a war memorial in marsh and if so is elvey middleton KOYLI commemerated

many thanks

barry

There is a church opposite Greenhead Park which has a memorial plaque naming at least some of the men from Marsh. The names on it are held at the library, if you still do not have an answer by next Tuesday I will check it for you.

Tony.

There is a church opposite Greenhead Park which has a memorial plaque naming at least some of the men from Marsh. The names on it are held at the library, if you still do not have an answer by next Tuesday I will check it for you.

Tony.

thanks tony,

is there a local paper for this area?

Just checked to see if Kirklees council look after one at Marsh and they dont so it must be at one of the churches nearby??

Theres no memorial listed on the Yorkshire Indexers site for Marsh also.The local Huddersfield paper was/is the Examiner there are transcriptions of a lot of local war memorials in Hudds Local History section Library.The papers on fiche too.

KIA 1/7/16 with 9th KOYLI.

Ady

Tony.

Holy Trinity, I believe - my GF was married there in 1915 - I imagine he may possibly be commemorated there (T/Capt. Harold Faulder; 3rd Y&L att 1/4th, KIA 26 April 1918). There is a large memorial actually in Greenhead Park, but when I visited (I live in the North East), it was all fenced off (in a rather sorry state - and I don't think it had any names on it - was rather hoping my GF was remembered in his home town).

There are no names on the Greenhead Park Memorial. The church is the Holy Trinity Church. I was able to take a look inside once and as well as the memorial plaque there is a stained glass window with marching soldiers. I will check the Memorial Survey held at the library for Harold Faulder and Elvey Middleton, but it is unlikely to be possible before Tuesday.

Tony.

I have checked the Memorial Survey at Huddersfield but I was not able to find any record of the Holy Trinity Memorial. However, a former cleaner at this church tells me there is a letterbox on a side door, so perhaps a letter to the church will help.

The address is:

Holy Trinity Church, Trinity Street, Huddersfield, HD1 4DT

Alternatively:

Reverend Calvert Prentis. Tel: 01484 422998 / 513213 (Church Office)

Email: admin.holytrinity@fish.co.uk

Tony.

>><<so perhaps a letter to the church will help.

>><<

Alternatively:

>><<

Email: admin.holytrinity@fish.co.uk

Tony, Thanks for checking; an email address domain for a church of fish.co.uk seems vaguely appropriate!

• 13 years later...