Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, Sept 1916

sarge2871

I am looking into the wearabouts 9012 Pte Albert Clarke`s unit would have been located, as near as, he was KIA, 06, Sept, 1916 on the Somme, while serving with Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. He is named on the Thiepval Memorial ( Pier and face 4D and 5B ).

Any form of information would be great as I am doing this for a freind, who because he was adopted has only just found out about this relative.

Kindest regards to all on this site,

Col ( Yorks )

Col

Two Battalions, the 7th and 8th Inniskillings were in 48 Brigade of the 16th (Irish) Division. On the 6th Sept 1916 they were in the Battle of Guillemont (3-6 Sept) between Guillemont and Ginchy. Patrols sent out from the left of the Division suffered heavily from fire from the Quadrilateral. 48 Brigade were fighting inside Ginchy,and they were under continous shellfire. On top of this both 48 and 49 Brigades were told to advance across a spur to the south east-of the railway line.

Sotonmate

Hello

The only thing I can add is that the service number and date of entry in France would place him in the 2nd Battalion in 1914. His service number indicates an enlistment date of late 1906/early 1907.

regards

David

Col (Yorks)

In SDGW he is recorded as being in the 8th Battalion Royal Iniskilling Fusiliers, this is also the Battalion he is recorded under in App 1 of Sir Frank Fox's book, "The History of the Royal Inniskillings in the World War". During this short period, 3rd to 9th September, according to Fox the casualties suffered by the 8th Battalion were 18 officers and 219 other ranks. As the two Inniskilling Battalions were moving into this area, which was their first time on the Somme, they were told with some grim pleasantry, "Everyone will get a Cross, whether wooden or Military will depend on your luck".

Hope this is useful, regards, Tommy

Many thanks to all who have taken the time to reply with information. My friend and I were at the Thiepval memorial in August last year and at the time never knew his relative was listed, so a return visit is a must, and now thanks to you all we shall visit the ground over which he paid the supreme price.

I have said it before and I say it again, a great site with a great bunch of folks with a wealth of knowledge on here, thanks to each and everyone of you.

As Dave Allen would say " may your God go with you "

Kindest Regards,

Col ( Yorks )