Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

La chapelle d" Armentieres 1914

andrew pugh

Good Evening All

I wonder if someone could help me.For the last several years We have been researching my Gt Uncle who was killed in March 1918, we have covered the last period of time leading up to his death in March 1918 when he was serving with the 24th Bn Royal Fusiliers,and would now to try and find out what he did in the early years.With the information we have so far we know he arrived in France on the 4th December 1914, he was one of a draft of 35 Special Reservists destined to join the 1st Bn Royal Fusiliers.They arrived at the front on the 8th December 1914 there is a reference to this in the War Diary of the 1st Bn Royal Fusiliers.Their first baptism of fire was at a place called La Chapell 2d Armentieres and a place called Wez-Macquart, and they seemed to have spent quite some time there, and fought in some terrible conditions.So if anyone has a copy of trench map of that area for that time it would be very helpful, if not perhaps you may be able to advise me of what Sheet Number I need to get my hands on.The early part of the war diary does mention some trench or breastwork names, one being near the civilian cemetery at that time.Hope someone can help.

Regards Andy

I have the personal Diary of a Regular Sgt 1st Bn Royal Fusilers He has detailed day by day accounts up until end of Dec 1915 I will dig it out as I am sure he mentions the Reserves arriving. It gives a coal face view af the events compared to the Bn War Diary. I append a few days worth but the date we need is at Work

14 Sep 14

Remained at Colunmniers had a route march, found lots of equipment and ammunition evidently been left by the Germans when they were driven back. Major Roberts made an interesting capture of a German stores wagon which had evidently been passed by thousands of troops, great rumours that several Ulans were about. Remainder of division arrived. (Smoked last pipe of baccy).

15 Sep 14

Whole division marched off for Soissons where operations are taking place, news that Germans are retreating, marched 15 mile troops in bad condition owing to the great weight of packs etc. Received news that troops in the trenches are worn out and have got to get there as soon as possible. Artillery pushed on we marched another 10 miles and billeted in a stinking old barn about 11 pm.

16 Sep 14

Moved off at 7 am received news that the Germans had been driven back another 8 mile. Passed two or three dead horses and about 12 motor cars full of wounded all the wounds seem to be in the head, legs, + arms Troops looking in good condition and marching well. Only 2 men fell out during the last 2 days. Arrived in sight of operation about 3 pm saw an interesting sight about 50 shrapnel (German) trying to bring down two of our bi planes orders received to bivouac for the night.

17 Sep 14

Guns been going all night moved about 8 am expected to be in the trenches by night but had to stop at Villebla??? As the bridge is impassable rained all day bivouacked at a farm very heavy firing all day Germans made another attempt to drop our aeroplanes.

Cheers 303man.

One of those Special Reserves who arrived on the 8th December 1914 was my Great Uncle Henry Morrell.

Regards Andy

Found the entries but no mention, as you can see from the entries all is not going well he had been in the fighting since arriving at St Naziere on 11 Sept 14 the odds as a Regular Sgt, haveing endured the Boer War were heavily against him. He did go home for Leave but was killed in March 15 The Bold casaulty details are my notes.

Thursday 12 Nov 14

Capt Shaw buried alive through trench falling in on him during the rain

Friday 13 Nov 14

Relieved A in trenches very wet and miserable. Sniping all day relieved by Leicester Regt about 10pm marched to Armentiers arrived 2pm turned ????? out of billets took them over by 4 am had a couple of hours sleep.

Saturday 14 Nov 14

Had breakfast etc in a house people very good but frightened out of their lives. Germans shelled the town all of the morning. Found a butchers shop had a fine feed of steak + Kidney for dinner. Relieved W Yorks in trenches. The worst I have ever been in up to our eyes in mud water, rained all night very cold and miserable.

Sunday 15. Monday 16 Tuesday 17 Nov 14

Nothing of any importance doing raining all the time troops very miserable & fed up cannot describe how we all feel sniping all day and night.

Wednesday 18 Nov 14

Very cold and frosty night Germans obliged us with a impromptu concert singing Watch on the Rhine. Who killed Cock Robin. + Bill Baily intercepted with remarks not fit to write. Livened them up with a few rounds to quieten them 3 of the ration party wounded Capt Pipon took over command of platoon

Thursday 19 Nov 14

Heavy frost received letter no 22 also letter and parcel from Dad gave mitts to Pte Scriviner Germans shelled farm 50yds from us. Weather much dryer Germans again obliged which was returned with Kiaser Bill went up the hill It’s a long way to Paree, and gave them the information that Russia had invaded Germany Relieved by Rifle Bde for 5 days rest.

Friday 20 Nov 14

Saturday 21 Nov 14

Sunday 22 Nov 14

Monday 23 Nov 14

Tuesday 24 Nov 14

Wednesday 25 Nov 14

Cannot write about anything very queer with rheumatism + severe cold.

At this stage he stops writing the day in his diary and just the date appears

26th

Received parcel + No 25 letter much better today.

27tt to 30th

In trenches nothing of any importance happened

Dec 1st & 2nd

Nothing important LCpl King shot through the head killed Pte Allen 15 platoon wounded.

11102 LCpl Charles King 02/12/14 Born: Gaywood Norfolk. Enlisted Hounslow. Resided: Walthamstow

3rd

Rained weather much milder H M the King inspected the troops outside Armentiers.

4th – 16th

Nothing of any importance to relate relieved in trenches by Rifles weather very wet in general reserve have had a bath at a factory which has been utilised for that purpose received birthday parcels from Lil & mother card from the kiddies Queens Wesminsters here in the trenches attack by German threatened but not pushed forward

Dec 17

Sues birthday wish I knew here address Great battle going on on our left weather much dryer several aeroplanes out today.

Dec 18

Sniping all day relieved Q W rifles in trenches up to our eyes in mud worst trenches I have seen

Dec 19

Sniping all day and digging shelled all the afternoon knocked our trenches to pieces no casualties 7 + 4 Divisions attacked

Dec 20

Rained all night troops wet to the skin trenches up to our knees in water Germans shelled Hdqrs + Armentiers casualties Roper Birk killed Dunks oxborough + 3 others wounded Queens Westminsters 2 killed + 4 wounded. Capt asked me if I wanted a furlough. Found out I am next to go.

L/14589 Pte Arthur John Roper 20/12/14 Born: Findnam Norfolk. Enlisted: Hounslow. Resided: Teddington.

14290 Pte Roderick Birk 20/12/14 Born: Lincoln. Enlisted: London. Resided: Lincoln

Monday 21 Dec 14

Very cold all night heavy fighting on the right flank received Xmas parcel from Lil but no letter Germans busy shelling Armentiers an next for Furlough must write and tell Lil troops very miserable on account of Mud and water in trenches