Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian tunnelling companies

Robin Sanderson

I have the medals of my grandfather Major Alexander Sanderson MC bar DSO MID and would like to research visuals of Insignia/ Regimental Badge or buttons etc to add to my personal archive

Also is there any publication which would list the above of The Tunnelling Companies?

My grandfather was Co of the 3rd Company

Thank you Robin Sanderson

Hi Robin,

The Official History of Australia in the War of 1914-1918 (Volume 3) The AIF in France by C.E.W. Bean has color pictures of the color patches of which the Tunneling Companies are included. I'm sure there are also other publications out there too. Have you done a 'Google' search?

Cheers,

David

Robin,

You may also care to look at the Australian Army History Unit site, www.army.gov.au/ahu/ and I do know that the Australian Army Museum of Military Engineering http://www.aamme.com.au/ would be exceptionally keen to hear from you and may well have much that interests you,

Regards,

Chris H

Thanks Tim:interesting site.Didnt see the patch, however, under 'Tunnelling'?

Would like to see the Paul Higgins Manuscript on The Mining Corps' referred there.Must be in AWM I expect?

Thank you Robin

Chris H: thanks for your info too.Much appreciated.

Robin,

The list of Tunneling Companies is not listed under the heading 'Tunneling Companies', but the next sub-heading, 'Miscellaneous Engineer Units'

Click on that heading and you will see the information you were looking for.

A most useful site the author should be congratulated.

http://www.unsw.adfa.edu.au/~rmallett/

post-6040-1232175932.gif

Robin,

I will be speaking to my father tomorrow (Sunday) and ex-RAE officer and will find out the best person/point of contact and email address for the Royal Australian Engineer's Museum, as I said I am sure they would be keen to hear from you and help you.

Cheers,

Chris H

Thanks Grantsmil and Chris for the offer.

Brian :you are spot on. John who runs the site tunnellers.net is an amazing historian and very generous with his knowledge.He and his colleague are descendants of 1st and 2nd Tunnellers: incidentally, they asked me to represent the 1st Tunnellers at the Sambre canal, France on 4/11 this year where the 1st Tunnellers built a tank bridge under fire in an action with the Sussex regiment.In fact, there may be my report on this memorial day on his site, I believe. (John informed me that Alex Sanderson's brother William /Australian Light Horse had the MC at 3 klicks away on the same day and place where Wilfred Owen the poet was unfortunately killed: one week before the end of the war.)

Many thanks

Robin

Robin

Great news. I am assuming that you knew about the website long before now, I only got to know of it's existance from a mate YESTERDAY!!! . From memory he has just discovered that either one of his, or one of his wife's relatives served in a tunnelling unit (This Altzeimers is terrible :blush: )

He himself is a Vietnam Vet.

regards

Brian

Brian,

John is the man who is keeping the roll call and memory of the individual tunnellers alive : I'd be surprised if he hasnt already got the records of your mate's relative if he was an Aussie tunneller.

To find this look on the rollcall and scroll down to the alphabet list of men.

John also came back and gave me the career details of an 80+ year old Londoner friend of mine, whose father was Major J Henry, a Queenslander, CO of the Ist Tunnelling Regiment who were so involved in the Mining of Hill 60.

Incidentally, if you are from WA you probably know a structure which my grandfather put down and that I 've glimpsed on 'google earth'; the breakwater blocks of Freemantle Harbour? Do you know anything about the waterpipeline to the Goldfields that C.Y. O'Connor built? Alex was his assistant on this and I plan to visit it when I retire!

Cheers

Robin