Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'18 Mart'

michaeldr

Best wishes today to our Turkish ‘Pals’ particularly any in Canakkale where ’18 Mart’ is celebrated for their naval victory in 1915

And remembering those on all sides who fell that day

Thanks Michael, I hope they will show the documentary on TV about the ship wrecks on the bottom of the strait.

Here is an interesting real story cousin of my grandmom told me. Her name is Emine; she never knew her father who went to Caucasus front and died there. Her uncle and big cousin were also sent to Gallipoli when she was a little child. They were leaving in a distant village in the blacksea region of Turkey. One night her mother tells her to bring water from the fountain at the end of the village. She takes two buckets and walks towards the fountain. When she arrived there she notices two shadowy figures in the dark; she stops instantly trying to remain silent. One of the figures steps forward and whispears "are you Emine?". Emine starts trembling with fear and runs towards their house. It is releaved that those two shadowy figures are her uncle and big cousin who were able to return home after Gallipoli and other ww1 fronts. They had decided to stay outside of the village till morning since shepard dogs were released during the night.

They survived the Gallipoli and still couldnt dare to wake up the sheppard dogs B)

Salute to ones who gave their lives.

Ozgur,

Many thanks for posting that lovely story; it is very believable too!

Even today, English language guide books often advise anyone walking in the remote Gallipoli battlefields to carry a stick to ward off over protective sheep-dogs

Best Regards

Michael D.R.

Rest in Peace, the soldiers from both sides.

Unfortunately, goverment and the new generation does not show enough respect to this incident. 18 Mart is just like an ordinary day. :(

Ozgur, thats an interesting story. My grandgrand father fought in Palestine and fell on the front.

Best Regards

Kaan

Even today, English language guide books often advise anyone walking in the remote Gallipoli battlefields to carry a stick to ward off over protective sheep-dogs

Best Regards

Michael D.R.

When I was there the problem was wild dogs the shepard dogs were under control

My grandgrand father fought in Palestine and fell on the front.

Kaan,

Towards the end of next month I will be visiting the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Cemetery at Ramleh. I have agreed to take some photographs there for other ‘Pals’ and if you would like one too, then it will be no problem for me to photograph the Turkish memorial as well. From memory it is a tall white obelisk standing on a square plinth; I will try and get more details when I visit there.

Regards

Michael D.R.

Rest in Peace, the soldiers from both sides

I second that Kaan, one of my distant relitives was killed at Gallipoli, I'll stop for a minute to remember all Turks as well Brits and those of others countries who lost their lives.

Annette

Hi Micheal,

It would be very nice of you if you could take a picture of the memorial. I hope you can find time for that.

Hi Annette,

That is an honor for me to meet you. Which company did he serve?

Regards

Kaan

Hi Kaan

My relative was Cpl Daniel, Trow of the 9th Battalion Worcestershire Regt., he died of wounds on 9-8-15 and his name is on Helles Memorial. I hope to visit the Gallipoli area one day. When I do visit I'll watch out for sheep-dogs, lovely animals <_< , one ran after me once, good job I was a fast runner :lol:

Annette

well I dont know what guides say but swinging a stick to a sheep dog is not a good idea :unsure: Turkish sheep dogs are bear-like creatures: they are not very much organizer types. They are raised to kill wolves.

father of my grandfather Fuat was a medical officer served in Hijaz and Mecca during the war. Before the war most of his military career passed in distant places of the empire (since he was among the young officers acted against Abdulhamid). After the War when all things settled he wanted to start a new life in Samsun (in the blacksea region) but he lost his beloved wife and daughter to influenza. It must have been really hard for him. Fortunately my baby grandfather was saved from influenza or I wouldnt have sit here and talked to you :rolleyes:

Ozgur

It would be very nice of you if you could take a picture of the memorial. I hope you can find time for that.

Kaan,

No problem; it's on the list

I will contact you about it at the end of April

Best Regards

Michael D.R.