Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA 332 Siege battery

cox1083

Looking for help please chaps. :huh:

My great uncle, Albert Ernest Baker, No. 83750, served in RGA, 332 Siege Battery.

His service record from Ancestry shows he was -

1. Wounded on 18.8.1917 & discharged to Base.

2. He was later Posted from Base, and then on 24.11.1917 admitted to Hosp. with Myalgia.

3. Again Posted from Base and on 1.3.1918 leave to Boulogne

4. Next entry is 22.3.1918 - died of wounds.

Can anyone tell me - how a Siege Battery was made up / what they did?

- what what actions they were involved in on these dates, and

- if Albert gets mentioned anywhere.

I'm greatly obliged for any information anyone can give.

Thanks in anticipation. :D

332nd Siege Battery went out to the Western Front on 18 May 1917 armed with four 6" howitzers. It first went into the line at Ploegstreet and Le Bizet, before moving to Ypres. In October 1917 the battery moved to Athies.

It was at St. Leger from 27 Oct to 13 Nove 17; at Metz-en-Couture (Cambrai) from 16-20 Nov 17; and at Beaumetz from 20 Nov 17 to 21 March 18. From 21-22 March 18 it was at Lebucquiere; at Bapaume from 22 March to 24 March 18.

The unit history, 332 Siege Battery R.G.A.: An Account of its Adventures in the Great War 1917-18, gives the following account for the night of 8pm, 21 March to 6pm, 22 March 1918:

"Not long after the main body had reached Lebucquiere, the colonel rang up and gave instructions that a party should be sent back to Beaumetz to salve as many of the guns as possible. This task was entrusted to Lowe and Burge and a party of N.C.O.'s and men., Collier accompanying them at his own suggestion. Brigade had arranged for two F.W.D.'s to be at a rendezvous in Lebucquiere. The party was rather late starting, consequently it was already after midnight when they reached Beaumetz. Bennett of 17 S. B., the assistant adjutant, paid a flying visity to the B. C. Post some time during t he night to see how we were getting along. It is doubtful whether anyone got much sleep, as the road was shelled intermittently by a H. V. gun, one shell landing right on a shelter inside of which were Sergt. Smith, Corpl. Baker and Gunr. Pugh all of whom were wounded. They were sent off in a motor ambulance. Pugh and Baker died later."

Regards, Dick Flory

332nd Siege Battery went out to the Western Front on 18 May 1917 armed with four 6" howitzers. It first went into the line at Ploegstreet and Le Bizet, before moving to Ypres. In October 1917 the battery moved to Athies.

It was at St. Leger from 27 Oct to 13 Nove 17; at Metz-en-Couture (Cambrai) from 16-20 Nov 17; and at Beaumetz from 20 Nov 17 to 21 March 18. From 21-22 March 18 it was at Lebucquiere; at Bapaume from 22 March to 24 March 18.

The unit history, 332 Siege Battery R.G.A.: An Account of its Adventures in the Great War 1917-18, gives the following account for the night of 8pm, 21 March to 6pm, 22 March 1918:

"Not long after the main body had reached Lebucquiere, the colonel rang up and gave instructions that a party should be sent back to Beaumetz to salve as many of the guns as possible. This task was entrusted to Lowe and Burge and a party of N.C.O.'s and men., Collier accompanying them at his own suggestion. Brigade had arranged for two F.W.D.'s to be at a rendezvous in Lebucquiere. The party was rather late starting, consequently it was already after midnight when they reached Beaumetz. Bennett of 17 S. B., the assistant adjutant, paid a flying visity to the B. C. Post some time during t he night to see how we were getting along. It is doubtful whether anyone got much sleep, as the road was shelled intermittently by a H. V. gun, one shell landing right on a shelter inside of which were Sergt. Smith, Corpl. Baker and Gunr. Pugh all of whom were wounded. They were sent off in a motor ambulance. Pugh and Baker died later."

Regards, Dick Flory

Dick,

thanks for your great information.

Is there an account in the units diary for 18.8.1917 when Albert was first wounded?

Would his injuries be detailed anywhere else?

Cheers,

Mike B)

Mike: The reference above is the only mention of Baker that I could find. Dick Flory

• 3 years later...

Dear Dick,

I was interested in this account of the attempt to retrieve the guns from Beaumetz.

A section of 122nd Heavy Battery were nearby on the 21st Mar 18, half way between Beaumetz and Doignies and came under heavy machine gun fire in the morning, from the direction of Louverval, and could not get their teams up in time to pull their 60 pounders out - the two guns had to be destroyed at around 11 - 11.30 a.m. and the section withdrew back to Albert, via Beaumetz and through Bapaume on foot.

The 122nd section was under the command of Capt T J E Sewell who was awarded an MC for his actions at 'Beaumetz'. Family 'lore' indicates he had received this for 'saving' his guns (the Brigade diary is clear that they were indeed destoyed and 'lost' - and no later action seems to have involved their rescue).

It has crossed my mind however, knowing from elsewhere the story that 'guns' had been saved at Beaumetz, that perhaps Sewell and the men of 122nd HB had become involved in some way in saving the guns of 332 Siege Battery.

Whilst I suspect this is unlikely I wondered if the history of 332 SB gives any further information of events on the 21st March 1918 that might be relevent please?

Could you let me know which RGA Brigade 332 SB were part of please?

Also (and forgive me if you told me this before!!) but could you let me know what you have on Capt T J E Sewell please?

I know Sewell joined 122nd HB when they were at Contalmaison on the Somme, in September 1916.

He was an A/Major for about a month, from the 28/9/18 when the OC, Major Johnson, was killed crossing the Canal du Nord (coincidentally Johnson is now buried at Louverval at the small cemetery at the Cambria Memorial - almost exactly where the afore-mentioned German MGs opened up from some six months earlier! Johnson was in 111th HB at that time though). Capt Sewell was wounded in the shoulder at St. Waast, near Bavai, on the 6/11/18 when commanding a forward section of 60 pounders.

best wishes

Alan

Alan: There is no reference to Captain Sewell nor to 122nd Heavy Battery in 332 Siege Battery R.G.A.: An Account of its Adventures in the Great War 1917-18. The citation for Captain Sewell's MC in the London Gazette of 26 July 1918 clearly indicates that got his MC for 'fighting his guns' rather than 'saving his guns'.

'SEWELL, Second Lieutenant (Acting Captain) Thomas Jackson Elliott, RGA (SR)

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during an enemy attack, when he fought his section nearly all day under a heavy bombardment, and until he was subjected to severe machine-gun fire from the flank and rear, and had suffered heavy casualties. He then destroyed his guns, only abandoning the attempt to salve them in consequence of the loss of so many horses. His cool and intrepid behaviour throughout was up to the best traditions of the regiment.'

Here is what I have on Captain Sewell:

Captain Thomas Jackson Elliott Sewell, MC, RGA

Born on 25 Oct 1888, the third son of Rev. Thomas Jackson Sewell, Lynsted Vicarage, Sittingbourne, Kent

Educated at Rugby School from Sept 1902 to 1907 (Scholar and played on VI) and at Queen's College, Cambridge (Founadationer Scholar, 1908; Abbott Scholar, 1908; BA 1910, MA, 1914)

Assistant Master at Giggleswick School from 1910 to 1911

Assistant Master at South Lodge Preparatory School, Lowestoft, 1912

Served with 122nd Heavy Battery, RGA

Military Cross, London Gazette, 26 July 1918

Mentioned in Despatches, London Gazette, 21 May 1918

Wounded in action at St. Waast on 6 November 1918

In 1923 he was appointed Headmaster at South Lodge Preparatory School, Lowestoft and lived at South Lodge, Lowestoft

Sources: Rugby School Register, Annotated, 1892-1921; Rugby School War Register.

Dear Dick,

Many thanks indeed for your very prompt reply and the detail you have provided, it is much appreciated.

As I suspected, family lore had mis-remembered a little.

I have been to the spot where this action took place and the view from where the MGs fired on the 122nd's section is open and, even in the clearing mist, would have provided the Germans with an excellent field of fire...................

best wishes

Alan

• 3 years later...

Hoping to attract RFlory's attention...

138817 Gnr John RankinRGA, an ex Tynemouth RGA man, (I have another thread running on him specifically) was gassed and wounded in 1917 with 217Siege Battery but when he recovered he returned to France 8th March 1918, was posted to 332 Siege Battery then got gassed again and is on Casualty Report 22ndMarch1918 for Le Treport 2ndCanadian Gen Hosp. You have posted a little extract for 22nd but he may have been wounded the day before. I appreciate that it is the launch of the Spring Offensive.

Is there anything in the history you have that mentions him in this very brief period of service, please?

When he recovered he joined 291 SB on 15May1918 until 28Oct1918. Don't suppose you have their brief history as lodged at IWM, by any chance.

Thanks in advance

Charlie962

Edited by charlie962

charlie962:  I have examined that part of 332 Siege Battery, RGA: an Account of Its Adventures in the Great War 1917-18 that pertains to 21-22 March 1918 and can find no mention of Gnr Rankin's wounding.  The only mentions of gas shelling is a statement on page 63 that "The enemy bombardment was still very heavy, and a good many gas shell were coming over, so that respirators had to be worn periodically" and on the same page that "about a quarter of an hour later [than 8pm] a gas shell landed inside No 2 gun-pit, and the gas was so thick that Bruce [Lt A E Bruce] ordered the detachment off the  gun for a few minutes until it cleared."

I do not have the IWM item "291 Siege Battery, 69 Brigade, RGA 1918.

rflory, I thought I had replied straight away to thank you but no, seemingly not. I think I got droppped of the system!

Anyway, thanks very much for your prompt response. I am amazed to learn there is an RA history you haven't got !! Thanks again. I will continue search.

Charlie962

edit I've just worked out my error. Before posting my reply I spotted a spelling error in my original post, tried to correct it and didn't realise I'd erased my reply. Just nearly done it again. Well that's my story.

Edited by charlie962

Charlie,

you may like to know that the author of the IWM history you cite is a long standing member of this forum; a very amiable chap always open to a friendly PM.

Rgds Paul

• 7 years later...
On 14/01/2009 at 17:59, rflory said:

332 Siege Battery R.G.A.: An Account of its Adventures in the Great War 1917-18

I am researching Gunner 86927 Archibald CANHAM of 332nd Siege Battery who died of wounds in the field (from Service Record) just 9 days after the Battery arrived in France. He is buried at Pont-de-Nieppe Communal Cemetery and named on the Hillmorton War Memorial near Rugby

I am unable to find the war diary despite trying a number of search variations, and it is not listed in the Long Long Trail and further an affordable copy of the book is not available for purchase.

I am looking for the events that led to the death of Archibald on Sunday 27th May 1917

ianshuter wrote: "I am researching Gunner 86927 Archibald CANHAM of 332nd Siege Battery who died of wounds in the field (from Service Record) just 9 days after the Battery arrived in France. He is buried at Pont-de-Nieppe Communal Cemetery and named on the Hillmorton War Memorial near Rugby. I am unable to find the war diary despite trying a number of search variations, and it is not listed in the Long Long Trail and further an affordable copy of the book is not available for purchase. I am looking for the events that led to the death of Archibald on Sunday 27th May 1917"

I have checked my copy of 332 Siege Battery, R.G.A.: An Account of Its Adventures in the Great War, 1917-18 and it indicates that "the first shoot was carried out on May 22nd." and on page 7 it is indicated that "After the Battery had been in action about three days, while [2nd Lieut.] Key was up at the O. P. on Hill 63, a shell landed just outside of it, killing Gr. Jones, one of the B.C.As, and wounding Gnr. Morgan, a Signaler, and Bdr. Teare, another of the B.C.A.s.  These were the first casualties."  There is no mention of the wounding of Gnr. Canham, though he is mentioned on he "Roll of Honor" as dying of wounds on 27 May 1917.

Dick Flory

5 hours ago, rflory said:

ianshuter wrote: "I am researching Gunner 86927 Archibald CANHAM of 332nd Siege Battery who died of wounds in the field (from Service Record) just 9 days after the Battery arrived in France. He is buried at Pont-de-Nieppe Communal Cemetery and named on the Hillmorton War Memorial near Rugby. I am unable to find the war diary despite trying a number of search variations, and it is not listed in the Long Long Trail and further an affordable copy of the book is not available for purchase. I am looking for the events that led to the death of Archibald on Sunday 27th May 1917"

I have checked my copy of 332 Siege Battery, R.G.A.: An Account of Its Adventures in the Great War, 1917-18 and it indicates that "the first shoot was carried out on May 22nd." and on page 7 it is indicated that "After the Battery had been in action about three days, while [2nd Lieut.] Key was up at the O. P. on Hill 63, a shell landed just outside of it, killing Gr. Jones, one of the B.C.As, and wounding Gnr. Morgan, a Signaler, and Bdr. Teare, another of the B.C.A.s.  These were the first casualties."  There is no mention of the wounding of Gnr. Canham, though he is mentioned on he "Roll of Honor" as dying of wounds on 27 May 1917.

Dick Flory

Thank you Dick, from memory his service record shows that he did a signallers training course.