Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Disparity of info.

burlington

Burlington

I have just noticed your post about Fred Farmer. As one of the men I am researching I would say that the inscription at Carmel is probably mistakenly dated. He was originally with the Herefords and was transferred to 11th Borders. He is listed as having been killed in action on 18/11/16 with 140 other 11th Borders, 50 of them having also been Herefords. His service number was 27744 and out of the 16 men from 27730 - 27745, 7 were immediately killled.

As one of the men I am researching I would say that the inscription at Carmel is probably mistakenly dated.

Mytrle

Thanks. I would take you point BUT the memorial is obviously a family one, and IMHO I doubt if the family would have countenanced such an error in perpetuity. Or would they? It seems so strange to me.

This is a photo of the memorial:

post-19-1080488051.jpg

Burlington

Thank you for posting the photograph.

The gravestone would have been placed in Carmel at the earliest 1925 if not later than 1933. The relatives may have relied on their memories of Fred's date of death, rather than look it up, and as the stone was placed 9 years or more years later, they may just have remembered wrongly that he died in September.

Myrtle

I must say that, after 'mature reflection' :ph34r: I think you are very probably right.

For such a tiny place, Carmel also contains another WW1 memorial, to a David Rogers, and a WW1 CWGC grave for a G Rogers.

Burlington

George Rogers was from Bodkin Hall as discussed on other thread.

The WW1 Memorial to David Rogers is commemorating David Richard Rogers Pte 239004 - 1st/1st Herefordshire Regiment. He lived at Garter Hall and was 21 when he was kia Egypt 09/03/18. Have you a photo of his memorial?

By the way, something I was going to mention earlier; looking at Fred Farmer's memorial I note that although Mary is said to be the wife of Evan, Fred is not said to be their son. As he doesn't appear to be on the 1901 Census with them in Nantmel , he may have been their grandchild.

My grandmother's cousin is commemorated on his grandparent's grave in Llandrindod Cemetery. He was kia at Gallipoli.

Myrtle

Both Rogers' coming up.

G Rogers first

post-19-1080505535.jpg

and finally, if you're interested, Carmel Chapelhouse itself

post-19-1080505858.jpg

This is another view of G Rogers' grave. It looks very sad and lonely I think though I do believe that there have been some flowers on it recently.

post-19-1080506067.jpg

Burlington

Thank you for posting the photographs of the memorials. It's a good one of Carmel Chapel. The Pales is one of my favourite buildings in the area.