Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Monthly Army List December 1915

Tim1915

Dear Pals,

I have recently acquired the above and would be happy to do any look ups.

The information regarding the Artillery is not as comprehensive as for other branches of the service, but the HAC and the Territorial RFA Brigades are included.

Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim,

What sort of things does the army list contain? I have often heard it talked about but never really known what it was.

Thanks,

Tim

Please see if you can find anything on Robert or Harry Tucker, Royal Berkshire Regiment. Sorry have no other info

Thanks

Christina

Tim

Could you do a look up on Lt Gerald Howard Smith South Staffordshire Rgt.

Regards Doug

Tim,

The Army list contains basic information regarding every officer in the British Army at a certain date.

For most units it is possible to confirm the C.O and other officers in charge

For example, the Colonel of the 14th (King's) Hussars was Major-General B.A. Combe C.B. and he had held that post since 2nd July 1904.

If you want any more information or would like a "look up", please let me know.

Christina,

I am sorry I cannot find any information on either person.

Doug,

Lt Gerald Howard Smith joined the 6th Territorial Battalion of the South Staffordshire Regiment on 10th October 1914 and was promoted to temporary Lieutenant on 24th June 1915.

Additional information regarding the 6th Battalion is that they have the Battle Honours "South Africa 1900-02" and their Drill Hall was at Stafford Street, Wolverhampton.

Regards,

Tim

Tim

Thanks for the information.

Regards Doug.

Tim

Does the Army List have any mention of W. Megoran, Lt. & Quartermaster - 6th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers T. F.

He went to France with the BEF in April 1915, survived the war and ended up a captain but I can find nothing about him in the London Gazette, local papers etc.

Thanks for the offer of lookups anyway.

Kate

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the info.

Could you have a look for a Lt. Appleby of the Royal Scots, he will either be 1st or 13th battalion. He was attatched at some point and I do not know when.

Many thanks,

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tim,

Could you please look up for me Lt (poss T/Lt) William Norman Watson,RAMC attatched 6th KOSB.

Many thanks.

Stu.

Tim,

Are you able to look up details on a Field Company rather than an indiviual? If so I would be grateful for any information on the 2/2 North Midland Field Company RE. I have a photograph of the company, with which my grandfather served (488297 Spr H Dutton RE).

Regards,

Roger Dutton

Tim,

Would be grateful if you could see if there is any mention of a 2nd Lt E W Hood listed for the Yorkshire Regiment, particularly interested in which battalion.

Many Thanks.

Bob.

• 11 months later...

I would appreciate any info on three officers in the West Yorkshire Regiment:

Lowry, Arnol Ernest Eric

Lowry, Cyril John Patrick

Lowry, A E E

TIA!

Ann