Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leicestershire Yeomanry

felicity.cleaves

My great Uncle, Joseph Henry Hopkins" (Harry)was a territorial with the Royal Horse Artillery but resigned due to work commitments prior to the war. When war broke out he was told he couldn't enlist with the RHA and was directed to the Machine Gun Section of the Leicestershire Yeomanry.

He was reported missing on May 13th 1915 and his only memorial is on the Menin Gate. I have recently acquired this picture and wondered if this was of his section. The other likely possibility is that it is of my grandfather in the RAMC ( see my other post). The one with the family likeness is 5th Row, third form left.

The text on the card frame says T. Greenham 133 Grosvenor Road, Aldershot

post-42893-1231863140.jpg

The second picture is of Joseph Henry Hopkins I believe, the hat badge has LY on it.

post-42893-1231863537.jpg

• 1 year later...
My great Uncle, Joseph Henry Hopkins" (Harry)was a territorial with the Royal Horse Artillery but resigned due to work commitments prior to the war. When war broke out he was told he couldn't enlist with the RHA and was directed to the Machine Gun Section of the Leicestershire Yeomanry.

He was reported missing on May 13th 1915 and his only memorial is on the Menin Gate. I have recently acquired this picture and wondered if this was of his section. The other likely possibility is that it is of my grandfather in the RAMC ( see my other post). The one with the family likeness is 5th Row, third form left.

The text on the card frame says T. Greenham 133 Grosvenor Road, Aldershot

post-42893-1231863140.jpg

The second picture is of Joseph Henry Hopkins I believe, the hat badge has LY on it.

post-42893-1231863537.jpg

Hi

Joseph Henry Hopkins

LYPAO Reg No: 2108

He is recorded as "John H Hopkins" in the WW1 Medal rolls? There is also a (Joseph Hopkins Reg No 1922 with a Corps of Hussars Reg No 255078 as well...... this cant be him as The Corps of Hussars numbers were issued after Frezenberg)

I will look at the muster roles and fill in his service record from the Regiment..... next week.

I would love to have a hi-def scan of both pictures if possible....... I realize that you might not be able to take out Josephs picture from the frame.... so would it be possible for a better photo?