Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Today's "Remembering Today"

Chris_Baker

I am not sure how you are compiling the "Remembering Today" feature these days, but last time I looked Sarigol Military Cemetery was in Salonika, not Italy.

And CWGC says Fred Hacking was in 12th Lancashire Fusiliers, not 8th.

Interesting that we can have dozens of off-topic posts in an afternoon but no concern that our header contains two errors of Great War fact!

The year and age are wrong too, according to CWGC - Fred died in 1917, aged 24, not 1916, aged 23 - so four errors

Alan

Interesting that we can have dozens of off-topic posts in an afternoon but no concern that our header contains two errors of Great War fact!

The concern is there and will be addressed. Other matters have taken precedence today. You know well that a response cannot always be immediate.

Fine, my sincere apologies for blighting the memory of dear Fred Hacking.

My sincere apologies for upsetting members of the Forum.

Mistakes get made, none of us are perfect, as you used to say Chris, it took time to reply to people's posts with a day job. and only 24 hours in a day. You also know the amount of work that goes into running the Forum. Why not just PM one of us at the time you noticed it instead of waiting for another 6 hours before posting it on the Forum?

I have only just learnt how to do this, mistakes are going to happen.

Are we all happy now? Rest in peace Fred.

• 1 month later...

In today's "Remembering Today" - isn't the date wrong? CWGC has Gough succcumbing to his wound on 22nd February.

Remembering Today:Brigadier General John Edmund GOUGH VC KCB CMG, General Staff, who died on 21.02.15, aged 43, Estaires Communal Cemetery, France

Brian

A quiet PM pointing out a possible error is a much more pleasant method than a public flogging. Leave that for the paid public servants who make mistakes every day of their lives (and if you are wondering, as I am paid by the MOD that includes me - I make plenty in a day at school and am often seen tied to a wheel being given a good ....... Oh dear - my imagination has gone off on its own again - quick, hide :ph34r: )

Jim

Please, can more care be taken in future

Just to put people in the picture, we do take care in what we do here, but you must also remember that we have lives outside of the forum too. Creating these lists takes time. Since Geoff's search engine went off-line, we only have Soldiers/Officers Died cd & CWGC to create the lists. Bearing in mind SDGW is not 100% accurate (which in the case of Gough VC states 21/3) and CWGC does have the rare error, we have no other sources with dates to work by.

In future please contact a member of the Admin team by PM and not, as mentioned, publicly flog us.

Jim/Les & the Admin Team in general

My apologies if I have caused any upset - I had already posted what I regarded as simply a question re Gough's date to a thread that seemed appropriate - before I saw a request elsewhere to PM any potential errors to Matt Dixon. This I did straight away & Matt quickly corrected the error. I guess in retrospect I should have deleted the post - but as you say, "we have lives outside of the forum too"

A public flogging was certainly never my intention - but if you show me where to stand I will now happily take mine :(

Regards

Brian

Brian,

No problem - don't worry about it. Sometimes errors are pointed out and sorted asap. However there are times when things go wrong and we (the team) aren't around and all hell breaks lose with comments regarding the Admin team :o

Les

Objections were raised to extreme punishments as long ago as 1916.

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons...ield-punishment

I doubt if they were ever extended to officers.

Keith

Also see

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...&hl=tweddle

another recent case!

Thank you

Michael

Perhaps Michael you would like to read the posts in this thread. Mistakes get made, none of them are meant to be disrespectful to the individual concerned. You clearly have no idea of the amount of time and effort that goes into preparing this.

Perhaps in future you could take more care not to be quite so sanctimonious in the manner in which you point out people's genuine mistakes?

Thank you

Matt

Have no wish to keep poking at this thread but I am genuinely interested as to how RT is now being compiled. Terry D used to pull details for the date randomly from the CWGC database. I take it from comments above (eg use of SDGW) that this is no longer the case. Is that correct?

Thank you

&

Mistakes get made, none of them are meant to be disrespectful to the individual concerned. You clearly have no idea of the amount of time and effort that goes into preparing this.

Perhaps in future you could take more care not to be quite so sanctimonious in the manner in which you point out people's genuine mistakes, or is this simply the newest form of Mod bashing to take over the Forum?

Clearly I also have no idea that this is such a sore point - Sanctimonious indeed - well I never :o

You will note that the Pals did try and sort out the mess on 18/02/09 by themselves

Mistakes can be overlooked and should be forgiven: Matt, you are forgiven

(God, I hope that doesn't sound Sanctimonious)

with very best regards

Michael

Terry D used to pull details for the date randomly from the CWGC database. I take it from comments above (eg use of SDGW) that this is no longer the case. Is that correct?

That is correct.

Ali

CB , a mail to voice your concerns would be far politer. We all know that when we were kids summers were longer , winters whiter and Test Matches always won by England on the final day. :)

In all seriousness .. do we truly need 'remembering today' - are they not all remembered every day?

Is it a cosmetic exercise?

Des

Is it a cosmetic exercise?

Not in this household.

It is the first thing I look at when I log on to the Forum and is a focus for my remembrance that day - particularly so when it the man is from a unit with which I feel a particular affinity or is buried somewhere that touches a nerve.

That said, I would rather see it disappear tomorrow than see further repeats of the type of pointed comments we've seen on this and at least one other thread.

John

I do know from my own experience that the script is unforgiving and even in retirement errors can be missed. Please do not give up on this. It is not in my opinion a cosmetic exercise.

Cheers, Terry

Dont people ever learn shouldnt the above post have been sent via PM to a moderator as suggested in an earlier post

Tafski <_<

this is not a reference to the post of rolands but to the post which has been removed by kevinaka1888

tafski