Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Place of Enlistment

robertb

On searching SDGW for local men I have noticed that the place of birth and place of residence are, for example, Liverpool, yet the place of enlistment is somewhere many miles away, for example, Maesteg, South Wales. The next of kin particulars seem to have nothing to do with the place of enlistment. This I find over, and over, again.

My question is: Did the individuals physically enlist in these places, or was it the case of the allocation of regimental numbers to that particular place being used elsewhere?

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob

The individuals physically enlist in the places mentioned, so if it records Maesteg, South Wales then thats the town where he enlisted.

Back in those days men would travel many many miles from their homes to find work, a group of men including my Great Grandfather and one of his brothers, from my home village of Clee Hill, South Shropshire walked all the way to Cardiff to try and find work, that why you find a lot of men enlisted in towns that they seem to have no connection to.

Annette

Annette,

Thankyou for that information. I have been wondering about this for some time.

Rob

I have often wondered myself. William Pawsey lived in my village in north Kent. He got his appeal turned down at a tribunal in March 1916. Later that month he travelled to Herne Bay (which is a 1/2 hour drive even now) and joined the Notts and Derby Regiment. This is stated in SDGW and is confirmed on his service record. Why? I can understand him being allocated to the Regiment due to conscription, but why travel to Herne Bay ?

Michael

I have long suspected that "lived" in Soldiers Died is actually the place of residence of the Next of Kin. Upon researching many individuals who fall into the category described in the original post this appears to be the only sensible explanation.

The information was probably culled from Attestation Forms and the variants I have seen rarely ask for the soldier's home address; instead they list the address of the NoK. Certainly, if this supposition is accepted then a lot of things usually fall into place.

Andy.

Andy,

Now that makes a lot of sense. I wish I had thought of that some time ago!

;)

Thanks,

Rob