Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Required

myos

I am trying to work my way through my uncle's Service Record. John Meek Norris 8837 Lincolnshire Regiment.

He enlisted in 1910 and in 1911 was in Gibraltar where he appears to have spent a fair amount of time in hospital, but I'm struggling to read the why and wherefore.

Can any kind soul please help out?

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo91/my...ris/jmn0648.jpg

For further details of his record amend 0648 in url to 0643 to 0661

Many thanks

Andy

In the same line as sore throat, (after the 7 sqiggle) I think it says cause unknown....then something beginning with G....

Oh, (edit added) how about Gargles then tid. (tid = 3 times a day).

Thank you, yes, I had that bit. Sore throat, cause unknown- gargles - also the following entry 'Examined for service in Bermuda, found fit.'

The first few entries are the difficult ones.

Andy

The 2-1-12 to 6-2-12 admission seems to be a problem (maybe "condyloma"-- genital wart) with the glans penis and a bubo in the left groin. Treatment local excision. Doc

The 2-1-12 to 6-2-12 admission seems to be a problem (maybe "condyloma"-- genital wart) with the glans penis and a bubo in the left groin. Treatment local excision. Doc

post-16373-1231843225.jpg

Thanks, Doc...I agree with most of what you suggest, but could "condyloma" be 'contagion'? Perhaps he picked up some sexually transmitted disease....could that cause a 'bubo' which I understand to be 'an inflamed or swollen lymphatic gland, especially in the groin?

Andy

Andy, could be... I thought of "contagion", but was turned off by the lack of a crossbar on the "T".... I thought of STD, since there are several which cause a sore and an inguinal bubo. Of course, an infected flea bite on the penis could do the same thing. Not enough information to tell. Looks like he was hospitalised a long time for whatever it was, though. I thought of condyloma due to the use of the word "excision", which means "cuttingout or cutting off", while a bubo, if you wanted to drain it, would be "incised" or "drained". If anyone tried to "excise" a bubo, they would be in a world of hurt (surgically speaking). Doc

Thanks Doc

I shall bow to your greater knowledge. Whichever is the correct translation the poor lad must have suffered somewhat.

Andy