Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th Middlesex 1916-18

Chris

Hi All.

Have just recieved my great grandads MIC from the PRO and have found from it that whilst he was in the A.S.C, he spent some time attached to the 5th Middlesex; a fact which was unknown to me before the Medal Card arrived, but which does make sense given some of the hand me down stories i have been told about him.

Wondered if among the pals there was an expert on this BAttalion who could give me a brief itinery of which actions the 5th Middlesex were involved in between 1916 and 1918, and also does a unit history exist for the 5th Middlesex.

Regards

Chr

Hi.

Just seen from the Long Long Trail that the 5th were a home serice unit, which now makes the family stories a mystery one again.

Chris

Chris

I have a copy of the history of the Middlesex 1914-1919 and no mention is made of the 5th except that they were called the Royal Elthorne Militia and were at the depot in Mill Hill in 1914, commanded by a Lt. Col. C.S. Collison.

It is odd that a whole battalion gets so little mention in two volumes

Howard

• 10 years later...

Hello, I was interested when I saw this topic as I am researching a soldier in the 5th Bn. Middx. Reg. . also. I have checked in LLT. and the 5th Bn was a reserve Bn. so being a reserve, they stayed at home I thought?

My quandary is that Joseph John Bodimeade, his family believes, was hurt by gas attack and invalided out of the war for this.. However, the dates do not match for the gas attacks. I have read about and checked the dates of them. But, the Battle of Loos is possible I guess as that was 25-9-1915, So I went to get the war diary for the 5th Bn. and of course there is none as they did not go overseas. That is what I am presuming anyway because there are no WD for the 5th.

Joseph John Bodimeade #G/1039. did go to France though, He was there 1-9-15 to 21-6-17 then home 22-6-17 and discharged on 21-6-18 for being surplus to military requirements.

In the Pension records on the award sheet Disablement Pension page however, it does say, " invalided for Myalgia, and cause of discharge is, physically unfit due to exposure on active service. The medical board said "there is no documentary evidence this man was even Overseas, when he contracted the Rheumatism? I cannot read the last word.

So, I thought I could verify this with the war diarys, but there are none.

In the Service records, statement of services page, there is in the margin,4th Training? Bn. transferred, 11-2-18.

So I am wondering if, to go overseas Joseph John would have been put in another battalion? although a training Bn. would not have gone overseas either.I don't think,

Sigh, I would have liked War diaries to verify this gas attack business.

Anyone have any ideas for me of where to go to so I can verify whereabouts my Joseph John Bodimeade was in France exactly please?

Thank you for your time and help.

Thank you for your time and help.

Soldiers were posted from the 5th Battalion to front line Battalions once trained and as required to make up unit strengths.

1. ava...JJBs Medal Card references lead to the original Medal Roll at Kew,WO329/1489 page 264,there will be recorded the Battalion he landed in France with.

You could ask in the Look Up Section here if someone going to Kew can take a look for you.

Once you know that you will know the War Diary you need.

JJB first enlisted 4 Sep 1914 and was discharged to sickness on 21 Jun 1918.Silver War Badge number 423499.

2. Chris,if you post your relative's name and number there will be help here.

G/1039 John Joseph Bodimeade served with the 13th Btn Middlesex in France. It looks like he landed in france with the battalion in early September 1915. The 13th Btn were part of 24th Division which was involved in the Loos battle at the end of September.

I have a copy of the 13th War Diary, i will have a look through but I wouldnt expect him to be named in it. You can get an idea of what the 24th Division were up to between 1915 and 1917 here - http://www.1914-1918.net/24div.htm

SOTONMATE,, I did not realize that the original Medal Roll at Kew would have more information on it than what I see on the Medal Index card in ancestry.. I guess the word Index should have given that away to me. ,I learned something new . :)

I will now attempt to get the original Medal Roll, Thank you for the numbers to find it. i was reading up all I could find on the 5th. am thinking I should have checked for how Battalions did things in ww1. But we live and learn :) I am excited about geting the war diarys now. I was getting frustrated not being able to verify this and not knowing where to go. Thank you for your help.

WALKERIC That is so good to read that JJB was with the 13th Bn. in France and part of 24th division. I wonder why it did not state that on the service records? But that is ok, these pages look like they were damaged so maybe one or two did not survive.

I thought it would be the Loos battle, it was the only one that fit with his dates overseas but I was not sure and needed to verify that.and get pointed in the right direction. Then the medical board doubting JJB's word, makes you wonder.

Thank you for the link on the 24th division also. I am looking forward to reading this while I have my cup of tea! :) Thank you for your help.

It does state he was in the 13th in his service papers. There is a form B103 on page 2128 that shows him attesting on 4/9/14, the next line says "13 posted BEF 1/9/15", shorthand for him be posted to the 13th Btn in France. hope this all helps.

WALKERIC. Thank you! I was about to find someone who could go to Kew and get me a copy of the original medal card with that info on it so I could give to my B/law, then I saw your posting. You know, I saw that 13 Posted BEF, but it did not dawn on me it meant the 13th Bn he was posted to France with.. I guess I thought the army would be specific,lol. I don't know. I get annoyed at myself sometimes missing things like that. Think I will print out pages of How to read Service papers and Pension papers. At least I can read up on that next time I need to know something off them. LOL. Thank you for your help WalkEric :)