Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

e-books etc

Kate Wills

Please use this new sub-forum to alert everyone to free e-books for Great War enthusiasts. Many rare and out-of-print WW1 books are now available on sites such as Project Gutenburg. Let's gather them into this new section.

In the meantime, we'll bring many pervious alerts into this section. They are scattered about the Forum at present.

PS Manchester Terrier - will I get overtime payments?

Thankyou. I've made a start.

Kate:

Here are the main CANADIAN OFFICIAL HISTORIES that have been released by our Department of National Defence:

DND Canada - Official Histories On-Line

For the Great War, the primary Canadian Official History is Nicholson. Over here at the GWFs sister organization in Canada we have transcribed that text from the on-line PDF version back to the format of the original text. To that we have added back the maps, sketches and references. We also now have the maps in Google Earth Overlays. You will find those on the Nicholson Matrix here:

Canadian Expeditionary Force Study Group - Nicholson Matrix Utility

You will see that there is also a Great War History by Duguid, shown as a two volume set (1 text, 2 appendices). That was to be the first of 6 volumes of the Great War Official History and it covers only 1914 and 1915. When WWII broke out the project was abandoned and only picked up again in the 1960s, but at that time it was decided to put it all in the one book by Nicholson. Some of these are also available on CD ROM from the CD Archive Project.

Hope this is of assistance. Now, if someone would list all the on-line books for the 26th Northumberland Fusiliers and the Royal Irish Rifles, that would be appreciated ^_^

Richard

I know we shouldn't comment but in general can links have a description to go with them please?

Yes! I realised that after I'd lost the link. As Kate's method is much better than mine, I've deleted the post.

Edited by per ardua per mare per terram

Fantastic idea :rolleyes:

Dear Moderator Kate: If this were Skindles I would allow you ALL the free drinks on the house for the entire evening for doing this! But, alas, sigh it is not so this public thank you will have to suffice until I have enough money to travel to the UK!

John

ex - British North America

Thanks John. If you are coming this way a bucket of maple syrup would go down a treat!

A bucket? Are you going to bathe in it?

Seriously, this is a cracking fine idea, but will inevitably result in my spending many hours reading off the screen.

Ayesha will not be pleased........but I am.

Thanks for the hard work.

Bruce

A bucket? Are you going to bathe in it?

You haven't seen me with what used to be a tin of condensed milk.

Kate: A bucket won't do - think of security checks, customs not to mention the cost of pure 100% Quebec Maple Syrup. Perhaps a mini-rum ration sized perhaps!

John

(ex-British North America)

Here are links to some classic memoirs

Wyn Griffiths' 'Up to Mametz':

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.../~alwyn/Mametz/

and Mildred Aldrich's pair

'A Hilltop on the Marne':

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/11011/11011-h/11011-h.htm

and 'On the Edge of the War Zone':

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/11947/11947-8.txt

cheers Martin B

• 1 month later...

My son alerted me to this site. It has the advantage of offering downloads in a variety of formats, including that for the Sony Reader, (my latest present to myself).

The category for WAR includes some interesting titles.

Keith

http://manybooks.net/

Edited to include the link. Apologies.

Keith

Not sure which site you mean? :huh:

Jim

thanks Jim

Clearly a wally.

I have edited the post to include the link. - will delete this one later to keep the site tidy.

Keith

• 2 years later...

Hi

I'm researching some Aussie doctors who served with the RAMC in WW1. One of them served with the 23rd Stationary Hospital Rouen; 2/2 Northumbrian Field Ambulance; then 3rd Northumbrian FA; 5th Northumberland Fusiliers, 47th General Hospital, 8th East Surreys. Can anyone point me in the right direction re unit diaries for these specific units please? or at least would like to know where they were when (I have no dates except he started his service from June 1915 (DR GEORGE ALEXANDER BIRNIE. He was awarded the MC in 1917. I've had a look in a lot of places but nothing seems as easy as the Austn War Memorial site unfortunately.

thanks

Lina