Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Own Scottish Borderers

billy201

Hi there Iam trying to find out all I can about Private Robert Lyons 8th bn Kings Own Scottish Borderers killed on the 9/3/1916. I would like to find out where he was born and where he enlisted. Where he lived if married. thanking you all the best from Inniskilling

Robert Lyons was born 1893 to David & Matilda. Below is his MIC whixch shows 6th Btn not 8th as per CWGC. Also is his families entry on the 1901 Scottish census.

Les

EDIT - I don't think he was married as the CWGC entry states "son of" rather than "husband of".

lyonsnb8.jpg

28020110em2.jpg

Hi Eviltaxman Thanks a lot that was just great I cant thank you enough all the best yours Inniskilling

Robert Lyons is one of many wounded 6th KOSB men reported in a casualty list published in The Scotsman on Friday, 15th October 1915, page 11. This list almost certainly refers to those wounded on the opening day of the Battle of Loos on 25th Sep 1915. He appears to have recovered relatively quickly and been posted to the 8th KOSB in early 1916. At this time, the battalion was based in the Hill 70 sector near Loos. I have no details regarding the date of his fatal wounding but his name appeared under the 8th Battalion in a casualty list published in The Scotsman on Monday, 27th March 1916, page 8.

Stuart