Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/4th battalion, King's Own Scottsh Boderers

saw1960

Hi, I'm currently researching the Waterloo & Taunton war memorial in Ashton under Lyne. One of the men on it is 201688 Private Arthur McManus, 1/4th Battalion, The Kings Own Scottish Borderers. Died 6th March 1917, buried in Alexandria (Chatby) Military cemetery. I have scoured the local papers in the library archive but can find no mention of him. On his Medal Index Card is written on 'Acc Killed' which I presume means accidentally killed. I would be most grateful if someone who has access to the war diray for this battalion could tell me the entry for the days preceeding and just after the 6th March 1917. Many Thanks

I don't have the War Diary, I'm afraid, but you can download the battalion history as a .pdf from the link below. The dates you are interested in are on page 90. It doesn't say anything about the 6th but the battalion was at El Burj (between Arish and Sheikh Zuwayid - just SW of the Gaza strip). On the 7th the battalion moved to Sheik Zowaiid/Zuwayid. It could well be that there is no mention of your man in the War Diary either - these sort of histories were written direct from the diary and would cull all information for the narrative.

Best wishes.

Andy.

1/4th Bn. KOSB War History